Weird 'sections' field in 1PasswordAnywhere

SidBBSidBB

I updated some details for a credit card in 1Password on my iPhone (app v4.2.1). After the update, I noticed duplicate 1Password.html files in my Dropbox folder. I read the other thread in this forum about that bug, and so I deleted all the html files and had the app re-create a new one.

But then I decided to open the html file through Dropbox to make sure it still worked, and I noticed an odd field in the credit card I had just updated. I don't see that field on any other item, so it looks like it appeared after I modified it on iOS recently. The field is titled "sections". The values in all the other fields are correct.

I'm including a screenshot below. Does this mean the data file for that item is corrupted in some way? Should I delete that item and add it again?

Comments

  • MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

    Team Member

    Hi SidBB,

    That might be a bug in 1PasswordAnywhere, not the actual item itself.

    Can you confirm if you created any custom section in that specific credit card item at any point in the past? That also mean if you created some but you decided you didn't need it and removed it.

  • No, I didn't have any custom sections.

    In case this helps, I've been able to reproduce this bug two more times. It looks like updating a couple of fields on iOS seems to do it.

    This is the sequence of steps I followed. The attached image shows screencaps of 1PasswordAnywhere before and after the update.

    1. Create a new credit card under 1Password for Windows (1.0.9.327)
    2. Populate the following fields: name, type, card number, expiry date, cvv, toll free number
    3. Log into 1PasswordAnywhere (on Dropbox site) and view the item. It looks like like the screencap on the left.
    4. Open 1Password for iPhone (4.2.1), edit the credit card and update the cvv and expiry date. No other changes made.
    5. Log into 1PasswordAnywhere (on Dropbox site). The item now looks like the screencap on the right.

  • MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

    Team Member

    Hi SidBB,

    I can confirm it's doing something weird here. I've file it as a bug report and we'll get this fixed.

  • MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

    Team Member

    Hi SidBB,

    It might not be fixed but can you update 1Password on Windows, we just released an update now with the newer version of 1PasswordAnywhere.

    Delete the 1Password.html you have now in your 1Password.agilekeychain folder (your data won't be affected) and then open 1Password, it should automatically generate the new .html file.

    Once you do that, test it and see if it'll fix it.

  • Hi Mike,

    Is the new update version 1.0.9.328?

    I updated to it, but now I find that if I delete the html file, 1Password for Windows does not regenerate it. I tried several things including rebooting and updating a few items to force a refresh, but the file does not appear.

    I was only able to regenerate it by opening either the iOS app or 1Password for Mac on another computer.

  • MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

    Team Member

    Hi SidBB,

    It did on my PC. Usually, what you can also try, is open the main 1Password for Windows app, go to File Menu > Repair 1Password data. That may help as well.

    However, I did notice it didn't fix the problem, so I'll make sure the bug report reflects this.

  • Thanks, that did the trick.

    With this new html file generated by the Windows app, I looked at the three sample entries I created yesterday while trying to reproduce the bug. One of them still shows the weird 'sections' field. The other two don't display anything at all; the right-hand pane is now simply blank. I guess there are display/formatting issues at root here.

    I don't use 1PasswordAnywhere very often, so it doesn't bother me, but glad to know there's an open bug report about this.

    Thanks for all your help!

  • MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

    Team Member

    Hi SidBB,

    Great, thanks for additional information. I can confirm the blank issue as that's what I saw as well as the sections field. Hopefully, it is a formatting issue as you expect and if so, should be a quick fix.

    I'll update here as soon as we know anything from the developers.

    You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.