otp no longer put on clipboard

maxandersen
maxandersen
Community Member

Hi,

in 1password 7 the OTP values was put in the clipboard on autofill so I could in most systems just paste the value when needed.

in 1password 8 that seems to no longer happen. How do I get that feature back again ?

thanks

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• kevin.li
    edited May 2022

Hi @maxandersen,

I understand the convenience of having the OTP copied automatically, and I apologize for the feature doesn't support in 1Password 8 directly.

We have a feature request regarding the issue, and I have added your feedback to the list. Our development team will prioritize it accordingly,

Meanwhile, if you are registering a QR code within 1Password for Safari, it should be copied to the Clipboard automatically:

During the sign-in process, the OTP should be autofilled by the 1Password for Safari extension. If not, we can click the 1Password icon in the toolbar and copy the OTP from the selected item:

Let me know if you have any other questions.

ref: IDEA-I-913

• maxandersen
    maxandersen
    Community Member

so the copying should not happen?

im a bit mistified because sometimes it does it other times it don't - and I can't figure out when its the browser extension or 1password itself in play :/

i'm using mainly firefox and chrome...if that matters.

• Hi, @maxandersen.

Sorry about the confusion. I thought you were using Safari. With 1Password 7 and the built-in extension for Safari, we have a function within the 1Password 7 desktop app to copy 2FA automatically. But, it won't apply to 1Password in the browser and the current 1Password for Safari that works with 1Password 8.

When you are on a login form within a browser, 1Password in the browser (the extension) will do the major job of autofilling. There is a different scenario regarding the Universal Autofill with 1Password 8 and Safari. Since you mentioned you are using Firefox and Chrome, 1Password in the browser is in play for the autofill.

As I mentioned in the above reply, 1Password in the browser should automatically fill out the 2FA during the login process. However, some websites' structures might prevent the autofill behaviour. If you see the inconsistent behaviour occur on a specific website, can you share it for me to test?

• Hi @sveltemimemansion,

I'm sorry to hear the same behaviour happens to you.

As I mentioned above, the 2FA will not copy automatically to 1Password in the browser. But the 2FA should be autofilled for your convenience.

Can you share the website where you are having trouble with the 2FA autofilling?

• OxfordStu
    OxfordStu
    Community Member

I'm just jumping onto this comment as I've also noticed the lack of putting the OTP into the clipboard, the autofill process doesn't work on this website for example https://www.gdms.cloud/login as they use an unusual pop up for OTP so this is one example where having it in the clipboard would be very helpful.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022

Gotcha @OxfordStu I've added your voice. I appreciate the feedback.

ref: IDEA-I-913

• maxandersen
    maxandersen
    Community Member

i'm back to try improve this - and yes I see otp being filled out on some websites but that is not helpful for sites where the otp is part of a combined key. In past I could write the first part and then paste the otp.

Any way to have that possibility enabled per login?

• Hi @maxandersen,

Thanks for the additional input here, I'll add a note about making this possible per login to the feature request. Let us know if you have any questions. 🙂

• maxandersen
    maxandersen
    Community Member

That would be awesome! its annoying its now easier to login on my phone than desktop as on iPhone 1password still copies the key (but please don't remove that feature to make them equal :)

This discussion has been closed.