To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How to switch from subscription to membership

hiho_silver
hiho_silver
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Memberships

Using 1Password 7 with subscription. No idea how to move to membership and to 1Password 8. Instructions I've seen do not match what I see, while the subject of vaults -- and what if, when or how to export is mind-numbing and, to my mind, lacking fulsome specifics. Sorry, but does all of this have to be so complicated?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how to switch from a subsdcription to a membership

Comments

• @hiho_silver

subscription = membership.

There is no need to export provided all of your data is in your membership/subscription. The new installation will pull in everything from 1Password.com. Please download the app and run the 1Password 8 installer. You'll need to sign into your account when prompted and then you're off to the races. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Download 1Password 8

• hiho_silver
    hiho_silver
    Community Member

Thanks for your response, Attorney General Tommy . . . (Not being rude. I just can't imagine what else "ag" might stand for.) Yes, my having earlier downloaded v8 is what has now brought me closer to the Asylum. I installed it, at which point I was asked for my account password . . .
    "WHAT account password, Ma'am? Could you be more specific?" The password that I use to access my vault every day -- either in my browsers or with the 1Pass 7 desktop (Mac OS Monterey)? Well, that password didn't work; while my secret password was in my Vault, which I could not now access.
    Dragging 1Pass 7 from Time Machine back into my Applications folder allowed me access to my data, at which point I copied the Secret Password and other appertaining data onto my extended clipboard manager.
    I do, in all modesty, consider myself fairly bright and pretty computer literate. And, having been with 1Password for several years, I remain confounded still by Vault placement, Subscriptions and Membership. I sincerely wonder if these aforementioned items really have to be so manifestly complex and confusing. For you Eternals who work with 1Password daily, my confusion is undoubtedly just amusing; but for me, I am beginning to feel the need for revenge.
    Yearly renewal is approaching, and -- if SaraBeth, who earlier responded to my questions, is correct -- then having a paid subscription automatically equals membership (which still doesn't make sense to me).
    So I'll yet again now install v8, armed with my Secret Key, and see what happens. I'm very close to giving up and trying both Keeper and Dashlane; but, in my many years with 1Password -- both on Windows and Mac -- I have developed a syrupy loyalty. So do keep your suggestions and empathy flowing.

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member

@hiho_silver You should be able to sign into 1PW8 with your account password (use to be called master password) and secret key, are you still needing help with this? The 'ag' in Tommy's username stands for the Agliebits, the company that makes 1PW.

• @hiho_silver

I'm sorry to hear that you've run into some issues with 1Password, we strive to make 1Password easy to use but we still have work to do and I apologize for the inconvenience. 1Password 8 is a complete redesign meant to make things even more intuitive, please let me know your thoughts once you give it a try! 😊

As @tomatoshadow2 mentioned, the "ag" in Tommy's profile name does indeed stand for AgileBits which is the company that owns 1Password.

I recommend that you take a moment to download and save your Emergency Kit. The Emergency Kit contains the information needed to add your 1Password account to a new device. You can print the Emergency Kit, write down your account password in the space provided on the kit, and then store the kit somewhere secure like a personal safe.

Let me know if you run into any issues with 1Password 8 and we'll be happy to help further. 🙂

• hiho_silver
    hiho_silver
    Community Member

Finally got it, as I had saved the Key in a place I had forgotten. I not into drugs, though my day-long issues with v8 keep mounting, while I'm beginning to feel I'm hallucinating. . . 1) Your new browser extensions do not seem to have a dedicated shortcut as comparted to v7. Both Quick Access and Fill In Browser open the SAME search dialog. And the point is? v7 was far, far more usable in that you had immediate access to say, your Favorites. I spent a large part of the day writing an Applescript to click on your new browser extension icon; and THIS gave me what I was looking for. I did eventually discover that you can in a round--about manner get to where the keyboard shortcut in v7 led to, but -- sorry to say -- these changes don't seem worth the price of admission.

In seeing that you had responded to my first try on the Support Communituy, I had to spend about a half-hour gaining access once I had responded byu your own response. To my disgust, having spent too much time today fixing your non-workable browser shortcut extension, I found that I could not sign in to the suport Commiunity. The 2nd or 3rd password that I had created and saved through your Program yesterday for some reason was not allowing me entry today. FOUR tries, FOUR new independent attempts to register . . . I kept on getting issues with name and password (1Password - generated and saved). There were no messages that either name or password was not acceptable.

So, sorry to say, I wasn't expecting this, and I really take no joy in complaining. But, as far as I now see, v8 is a downgrade; and if payment has not been deducted for renewal, I'm leaving. Thanks for trying, and good-bye

• hiho_silver
    hiho_silver
    Community Member

Changed my password once again and apparently have gained entry to the Support Community. Also changed my mind re leaving 1Password, as I experimented last year with the competition and determined that, to my mind, 1Password was superior . . . Final thoughts re v8:

1. What I want to see re 1p's browser extension is more initial and fulsome access to my Favorites. The ability to search already existed in v7 extensions, as all I had to do was to begin typing, the name of my search being immediately entered. And I had the option, I believe, of whether or not I wished Favorites, or logins, etc to appear. So you've changed the visuals and not. -- to my mind -- the usability.

2. I'm hoping the lack of a shortcut to evoke the extension menu will be amended -- unless, that is, you believe the search alone is equal and adequate. Maybe it is, but my initial reaction is negative. I'll have to live with it.

3. The ability to change the size of the extension window now seems solely dependent upon whether the user chose "compact" or "comfortable." You seemingly have eliminated the user's ability manually to adjust said window. I demur from this decision.

4. Again, I find the options both for "System" or "Dark" too confining, "Dark" being too dark to my mind.

5. I find all other changes -- except for those about which I now bitch -- to be apt and welcomed.

6. I have once again entered my 3rd or 4th password. if it doesn't work, never again.

7. Although I am Jewish, I don't necessarily enjoy complaining. Shalom

• Hi @hiho_silver:

Great questions, I'll answer them in order:

1. You can customize which view 1Password in your browser opens to by right clicking the 1Password icon in your toolbar and choosing Settings. Change the option "Open 1Password to".
    2. Which browser are you using? On Chrome or Chromium based browsers (Edge, Brave, etc), 1Password in the browser can be opened with Command+Shift+X. If you're using Firefox, Command+. will open 1Password in the browser. I know recently Edge has added their own snipping tool inside the browser that may conflict with the shortcut for 1Password, but you can always customize the keyboard shortcut in your browser's extension settings.
    3. As it currently stands, there isn't any way to customize the size of the 1Password pop-up in your browser.
    4. Thanks for your feedback on this, I'll share your thoughts with our design team.

Jack

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022

Attorney General Tommy

Haha! Thanks so much for the chuckle. I never thought about that, but now that you have mentioned it, I can't get it out of my head. A good chuckle indeed. I am glad to hear the others could help. Hopefully, Jack's post will answer some of your questions. Please let us know if you have others.

My wife would say don't give him ideas. 🤣

This discussion has been closed.