Menu bar icon placement reset after update 1PW 8 nightly build

Options

After updating 1Password 8 on the nightly build for macOS, the 1Password menu bar icon placement is reset (to the outer left).
This is especially inconvenient on a M1 MacBook Pro, with a Notch, and an already well-used menu bar.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• rob
    Options

Hi, @Terethlor. You should be able to rearrange any menu bar icons by holding the Command key and dragging them to your preferred location. Hope that helps!

• 7thKnight
    7thKnight
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @rob , I guess what the users means is, that every time the menu bar icon is moved, it will pop back to the outer left position as soon as the Mac is restarted. At least, that happens to me all the time.
    Every morning, I move it back to where it shall sit and after every restart it will appear again on the left side.
    No, keeping the Mac on all the time is not the desired solution ... :)

• repoles
    repoles
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm 1Password 8 is not keeping the menu bar icon position. It moves back to the outer left position when Mac is restarted. Definitely this is not desirable. I hope it get fixed anytime soon :)

• ralphthemagician
    ralphthemagician
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having this issue. Oddly, it seems to only happen on my older Intel MBP. On my newer M1 MBP it seems to keep it's location. Very strange.

• Terethlor
    Terethlor
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @rob !
    The issue I have still persists and seems like a bug to me.

1. I'm aware how I can rearrange any menu bar icons by holding the Command key.
    2. I can rearrange the 1PW menu bar icon. This works for me.
    3. My 1PW menu bar icon is NOT reset after restart.
    4. I'm experiencing this on a M1 MacBook Pro. I have not tested this with my Intel MacBook.
    5. The menu bar icon IS reset, after UPDATING 1Password 8 (both on Beta and Nightly Channel).
    6. After every update, I have to rearrange the menu bar icon.
    7. I did not have to do this with 1PW 7, the menu bar icon location was not reset after update.

Is this due to the update routine on the Nightly Channel (complete uninstall and reinstall, leading to icon reset) ?
    Are others also experiencing the menu bar icon location being reset after every update of 1Password 8 ?

• repoles
    repoles
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I am! The icon placement is not persisted. When I restart the Mac or close and reopen 1Password, it's position on menu bar is reseted. Tested on a MacBook Pro Intel and also on a Mac mini M1.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

We do have an open issue for this, but I couldn't say when it will be addressed. Hopefully soon. 🙂

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#7325

• repoles
    repoles
    Community Member
    Options

Nice! Thanks 😊

• Thank you for reporting the issue, folks! We appreciate it.

This discussion has been closed.