Why is there an app associated with 1password for Safari?

Rob9876
Rob9876
Community Member

Why is there an application called 1Password for Safari in my Applications folder? It doesn't appear to have any functionality. Isn't the 1Password for Safari a browser extension? If it is just there to tell you how to set up the extension then you should find a better way to do that. Please don't take liberties with my Application folder.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• LamboCountach
    LamboCountach
    Community Member

Assuming that you're running a vaguely modern version of Safari (v12 or later), extensions are now installed in your Applications folder. It's not 1Password, it's Apple.

• Hello @Rob9876!

As @LamboCountach touched upon, 1Password for Safari is a modern web extension that allows us to incorporate more advanced filling and functionality than we were able to using the older Safari app extension that came built-in to 1Password 7. Modern Safari web extensions will appear in your Mac's Applications folder when you install them.

I hope that helps. 😊

• Rob9876
    Rob9876
    Community Member

Thanks for enlightening me. I did not know this. I still don't like it but I guess I should direct my ire at the right party. Apologies if I came off too strong.

• @Rob9876

All good my friend. We're always read and willing to help. Let us know if you have other questions.

• DustinFrazier
    DustinFrazier
    Community Member

Just found this via Google, and I have to say, shame on you Apple. Now whenever I Spotlight search for either "1Password" or "Safari", what I get every single time is "1Password for Safari". Argh. Stuffed it in a folder and excluded it from Spotlight, but I'm guessing that will break when there's an update to 1p4s that needs to be installed. What a weird decision on their part.

• @DustinFrazier

I don't believe there's any need to first move 1Password for Safari into another folder before excluding the app from Spotlight. You can exclude 1Password for Safari from your Spotlight search results by following these steps:

1. Click on the  in the menu bar.
    2. Click System Settings.
    3. Click Siri & Spotlight in the sidebar.
    4. Scroll down and click Spotlight Privacy.
    5. Drag "1Password for Safari" from the Applications folder to the white box.

You should no longer see 1Password for Safari when searching in Spotlight. I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• DustinFrazier
    DustinFrazier
    Community Member

Thanks for the tip! Clicking plus only lets you choose disks or folders, but I guess because apps are actually bundles (and thus folders under the hood), dragging into the list works.

• @DustinFrazier

I'm happy that I was able to help. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.