1password 8 constantly takes focus

Options

I just installed the 1password 8 beta. I am unable to close the application and it constantly takes focus. I am unable to use shortcuts to enter; I am unable to consistently type in the browsers and applications. 1password keeps opening and taking focus.

1Password Version: 80800011
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.4 Beta (21F5071b)

Comments

• rob
    Options

Hi, @zanyterp. Apologies for the delayed response; we're a bit backlogged from the official release of 1Password 8 for Mac.

That is... odd, to say the least. Are you still experiencing this behavior? If you haven't already, try restarting your Mac and see if that helps at all.

• gkefalas
    gkefalas
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there — sorry to bump an old thread, but this sounds similar to what I'm seeing. I'm encountering this on macOS 1Password 8.8.0 (80800203 Production channel), not Beta channel. But maybe some more details may help?

I definitely encountered and could reproduce it when browsing, which you can imagine caused issues when working in things like Google Docs :) So, I've disabled the browser extensions for the time being in Safari (v2.3.7) and Edge, and it seems to have resolved itself.

The behavior is:

• The 1Password application pulled focus occasionally OR a few seconds after I'd return focus to the browser OR a few seconds after switching tabs. (That last one about tab switching isn't reliably reproduced, but seemed to be the behavior.)
    • If I quit the 1Password app entirely, it would start back up when it attempted to pull focus.
    • If I X'd out of the 1Password main window, 1Password would still grab focus, but there would be no window, obviously.
    • I noticed one time the search field was focused, so I thought that perhaps this caused it; I unfocused it, alt-tab'd back over to my browser, but a few moments later… bam, 1Password application grabbed focus again, but the search field wasn't focused. So, seemed coincidental.
    • A restart today did nothing.

I don't know offhand how long this has been going on, but for whatever reason today the issue was noticeable enough that I came hunting for a solution, and found this thread in the beta forum describing a really similar issue.

I don't think it was happening prior to prod 8.8.0, however. I only recently updated a few days ago and something like this I'd definitely notice if it had been, like, weeks.

Hope this may help pinpoint what's happening! I've been using 1Password since v2 or 3 and love it and depend on it. I haven't installed the new betas to see if it's resolved there; that will be my next step. Fingers crossed. Either way, thank you!

• yoav_weiss
    yoav_weiss
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing the same issue. I tried 1PW 8 beta months ago and encountered this issue so I remained on v7. Given that 8 was officially released recently, I figured this would have been figured out by now, but no dice.

1Password brings itself to the foreground randomly while using Safari. I suspect a bug with the browser extension. Happens a lot when switching or adding new tabs or new windows

Super frustrating. Happy to provide any logs to help trace this issue.

• gkefalas
    gkefalas
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @yoav_weiss — I found a thread on the Mac forum that also talks about this issue, and a 1Password team member had a suggestion about browser updates causing this: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/653041 It didn't help me out, but maybe it'll help you? 🤷‍♂️

• yoav_weiss
    yoav_weiss
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip @gkefalas, but there's nothing to update over here :(

I hope this gets resolved faster now that more people are switching to v8 and surely others will encounter this same bug.

• yoav_weiss
    yoav_weiss
    Community Member
    Options

@gkefalas I may have (temporarily?) solved the issue.

1/ I switched to nightly release channel, then went to about and found an update (8.9.4-23)

2/ In 1PW settings, went to Browser tab and unchecked and re-checked "Connect with 1Password in the browser"

3/ In Safari settings, went to Extensions and disabled and re-enabled 1Password for Safari extension

Hasn't happened in nearly 10 minutes, and I've opened a bunch of tabs and windows trying to replicate the bug and haven't seen it yet.

Found this other thread where @Ben confirmed this was taken care of back in June:
    https://1password.community/discussion/131183/1password-80800170-stealing-focus-all-the-time-unusable

• gkefalas
    gkefalas
    Community Member
    Options

@yoav_weiss This is an awesome find, thank you! I'll give it a go 🤞

• lucaberta68
    lucaberta68
    Community Member
    Options

@yoav_weiss thanks for your suggestion, so far it has seemed to have fixed things on my setup!

I have been plagued by 1Password stealing focus since Safari 16 and 1Password 8.9.4 updates were loaded on my machine a few days ago, and I did not have time to sort out was could have been the cause.

There was also a Safari extension update which came over the past few days, so I was out of luck in trying to pinpoint the specific culprit.

Still, following your suggestions to reset both 1Password and Safari seemed to have cured the issue.

Many thanks! 🙏🏻

This discussion has been closed.