Frustration with 1Password secure notes

Options

I make extensive use of 1Password secure notes and for some reasons, the 1Password app and extension bolds areas of text in multiple secure notes. I wind up scrolling through these notes and all of a sudden the text in the notes are bolded. Resorted to copying the contents of the note into Notepad, deleting the secure note in 1Password and creating a new secure note and pasting the text from Notepad into the new secure note. The bolded text reappears when I save the secure note. What is strange none of the bolded text shows up in the edit mode in 1Password!

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.6
OS Version: Windows10

Comments

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    Options

I went into one particular secure note. There was an area that was completely in bold text. There were 2 blank lines separating it from the text above it. The text above it was in a normal typeface and not bolded. I deleted the blank lines so that the bolded text's text area followed the non-bolded text. I save the edits and the text that was not bolded before the edit became bolded!

What on earth is going on? Why is 1Password secure notes bolding text apparently randomly? Does it use hidden control codes??

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member
    Options

It uses markdown formatting. Have a Google and see if that’s your issue.

I think bold formatting is double astrix either side of the wording

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    Options

That is the problem there is no ** text ** anywhere near the bolded txt. The only thing is a series of ----- that I use as a delimiter in the text and that is a horizontal rule. It seems that 1Password is interpreting the "-------------" as a bolding indicator.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

@Fedup

Typically ------ with text next to it on either side produces bolding. If you'd like to turn off Markdown you can do that in 1Password > Preferences > General - Appearance: Format secure notes using Markdown.

📝 Format your secure notes with Markdown

Below with the new line you'll also notice the dashes produce a line. Another byproduct of the Markdown formatting.

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

@ag_tommy

The dashes were bolding the text that preceded the dashes. When I eliminated the lines of dashes I was using for delimiters the issue went away. I went to using ______________ instead for the delimiters in 1Password.

The link for the markdown says ---------- is a dividing line. That was not the behaviour I was seeing here. It was bolding the preceding text.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

👍 Sounds good! Enjoy! Once upon a time I hated Markdown. Now I admit I love it to no end.

This discussion has been closed.