[Bug] [1P8] "Face" unlock successfully enabled with fingerprint

nukmicahnukmicah
Community Member

On my Samsung Galaxy S21, I've only enabled fingerprint biometrics. 1P8 let me enable "Face" unlock, and now asks me to "Unlock with Face" whenever I open the app. Except I just scan my fingerprint and it works. So functionally it works, it's just misleading to say "Face" all over the place when I'm just using fingerprints.

Comments

• ag_timothyag_timothy

Team Member

Hello @nukmicah thanks for testing out the early access and letting us know you've run into this issue!

It looks like if face and fingerprint unlock are available on a device the wording in 1Password 8 for Android defaults to face unlock, even if fingerprint unlock is being used. I can see we have an internal issue open for this and are investigating. Thanks again!

ref: dev/core/core#5801

• DrRZDrRZ
    Community Member

I've experienced the same on my S22 Ultra. I haven't tried enabling face on my phone, so I'm not sure how 1Password handles when both Face and Fingerprint are enabled on the same device. However, if it doesn't already have this option, I think you should be able to select which is active and which should be the default. For instance, fingerprint should be significantly more secure on this phone so even if I've allowed unlocking by face, I might want to only allow fingerprint for 1Password.

• ag_timothyag_timothy

Team Member

Hello @DrRZ thanks for following up with us!

For face or iris unlock, 1Password for Android requires devices to use Google's native Biometric framework as well as use strong encryption. To clarify, many devices have some sort of face or iris unlock option, but they don't support Google's native Biometric framework. Even if they do, they may not support strong encryption or include hardware such as a depth sensing IR camera or similar. To my knowledge, this support is limited to the Pixel 4, Pixel 4XL and a few other devices.

Assuming the S22 Ultra does not support all the requirements, you will not be able to use face unlock with 1Password even if it is available to unlock your device or other apps. If face unlock is available on your device, the wording in 1Password will default to face unlock (instead of biometric or finger print unlock) even if face unlock is not available with 1Password. If that's the case, tapping face unlock in Settings > Security will allow you to set up fingerprint unlock with 1Password. We're looking in to solutions to help make this more clear for 1Password users. Thanks again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file