installation questions

Options
vishalsheth
vishalsheth
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Mac

Please see the screenshot shared in this post. I'm upgrading from 1pw7 to 1pw8. I'm getting the attachment. I have 1pw account, dropbox & there's a standalone which I don't use. I don't understand about the points. I would like to have all in the same way as it is for now. I should not have had to download the upgrade to 8 separately. It should popped up as normal upgrade.

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac 12.4
Referrer: forum-search:installation 8

Comments

• ag_tommy
    Options

@vishalsheth

1Password 8 is membership only. You will not be able to use Dropbox or standalone vaults with it.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

So you're moving to only account membership. So no more standalone or dropbox or any other method. Why? Would there be support for 1pw7? till when?
    Once I move to 1pw8, then there's no going back, right?
    With the above image so I need to choose install without moving data. So my account data remains safe. If additional users are using 1pw7 now then would have also to upgrade to 1pw8. The whole family would have to upgrade.
    Please answer the above points so then I can plan the move.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

I'm awaiting reply. As I understand I can use 1pw7 and 1pw8 both simultaneously. It's with same data and not issues would be faced.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

@vishalsheth

1Password 8 is a membership only with no standalone vaults. You can continue to use 1password 7 if you wish. 1Password 7 and 8 use different data sets, but the underlying structure is the same, so there would be no issues moving back and forth, data-wise. That said, is not the greatest experience when trying to run both simultaneously (same device). I do it to help users, but I typically keep 8 open and only open 7 when absolutely necessary. Confusion with the browser extension comes to mind, especially with the browser lock state. I would encourage you to use 1Password 8. We always recommend using the latest version available. But yes, you can use 7.

If you are using standalone vaults in 7, you would not see them in 8. 8 has no support for them. If you are using a membership, there would be less of a chance of encountering issues. Both 7 and 8 can make use of a membership.

Our Founder, Dave Teare, posted a really informative outline here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/601917/#Comment_601917

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

@ag_tommy

1. How can I have 1pw7 and 1pw8 apps on my Mac? I don't see 1pw7.
    2. There was a nice feature in 1pw7 where when I went to a account and click option key I was able to see the password or hidden items. Now in 1pw8 it's not possible. Why? This was great feature. I could view all of them together.
    3. In 1pw7 when I clicked on show large font, it was on the same screen. Now in 1pw8 it opens in new screen, why? Earlier was better. On hitting escape it moves back to the old screen but 1pw7 option was better.
    4. I'm happy with the sharing option within the group. Now there's no duplication. The only issue is that if the other person who has access to view & edit makes changes then it would become impossible to move back or undo the same. With this I feel 1pw7 option was better. I used to update and do the needful in my account and then keep a copy in the user. So I would always have a copy. So if anything goes wrong then I always have a full back option.
    5. There are old cards which I would like to keep for reference. Watchtower in calculating those in my score. The cards are closed but kept for information only. I tried clicking ignore but what happens with this? Does it include in the score?
    6. I had been suggesting that different sites have different password policies. So I generate a new password for site A and then I'm generating for site B then the generation is happening on last chosen basis. It should allow me to save the criteria for combinations and also allowed special characters. Some sites only allow a few special characters.
    7. If the password history can be set with dates. Instead of saying 160days back password was "sdfsdf", it can share from the date when the password was set. It can also share the number days on side. Like today I'm updating password for Site X today that's 25 May 2022, then history should show me 22 Feb 2022(92days).
  • ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

@vishalsheth

Is everything using your membership? It sounds like you may have a standalone vault in the mix. That said it may be better to take a closed look at your setup. Please email us using support@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

There was a nice feature in 1pw7 where when I went to a account and click option key I was able to see the password or hidden items. Now in 1pw8 it's not possible. Why? This was great feature. I could view all of them together.

It's possible in 8. Please enable the option in 1Password > Preferences > Security

There are old cards which I would like to keep for reference. Watchtower in calculating those in my score. The cards are closed but kept for information only. I tried clicking ignore but what happens with this? Does it include in the score?

Use a collection and use the watch tower score from there. May necessitate move the older data. Use collections to create custom groups of vaults You could also use the Archive Talking trash: Why we're introducing the Archive

• ag_tommy
    Options

@vishalsheth

I'm sorry I don't understand your comment. Could you help me out?

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy I've shared the changes done by RBI which needs to be followed by everyone else. It has the new method of storing card details too.

• Hey @vishalsheth:

Thanks for sharing that. While I can't promise anything specifically, it's something we're aware of.

Jack

• MNMike
    MNMike
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

Here is the reply from Objective Development (LaunchBar) to fix the issue:

**Hello,

To do so please open your LaunchBar index (⌥⌘i) and remove the 1Password items from the left sidebar. LaunchBar will stop asking about it then.

Kind regards from Vienna,

Benjamin Gangl

Objective Development Software GmbH**

• Thanks for sharing @MNMike! Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.