Universal Autofill broken for Fastmail/Fastmate

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member

As of yesterday 1Password for Mac fails to fill in my Fastmail credentials (username, password, and TOTP code) in Fastmate using Universal Autofill.

This worked fine before and is so nice to have. Can you please fix this?

(Universal Autofill still seems to work in other Apps, for example Remember The Milk for Mac)

1Password Version: 80800105 (Nightly)
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: macOS Monterey 12.4

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any way to report this to the developers directly?

You would think they would like to know about regressions in their Nightly builds, but so far I have been waiting 4 days in vain for an answer from Support, which means this bug might end up in the Beta/Release channels...

What's the point of letting users run Nightly builds if there's no proper feedback loop?

• ag_tommy
    Options

@XIII

Sorry about that we are try to get to everyone as soon as possible.

Did you receive a support ID? Please share it with me. Nightlies are often more bleeding edge. Please continue to report issues here or via email. I also use the nightly and I just installed Fastmate and I have no trouble filling in the username/password and totp.

btw, thanks for prodding me to do that I need to clean up my inbox.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Since I see many topics being closed for also contacting via email I did only post here.

Please note that the issue is with Fastmate, not the Fastmail website itself (links in start post).

The issue is still present in today's Nightly build.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

@XIII

No worries and thanks as always. Yes, 100% while using Fastmate the app. I can fill there with no issue using Universal Autofill. I’ve logged in and out a few times testing. Fills everything including my totp.

1st Mac with 12.4 and 1Password nightly. ✅
    2nd Mac with 12.4 and 1Password production. ✅

I then took Mac (2) to the beta (80800104) and again experienced no trouble filling.

Hmm. Is the login offered up when you go to fill? Have you tried removing the app linking within the Fastmail login and adding it again by attempting to fill? I’m wondering if something changed there, such an update? If so, removing and re-linking it would likely help.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Have you tried removing the app linking within the Fastmail login and adding it again by attempting to fill?

I removed the App linking from my Fastmail login and now I can't add it again:

• Nothing happens after pressing ⌘\ (in Fastmate; it works in other Apps)
    • Autofill does not work from Quick Access either

I’m wondering if something changed there, such an update?

I compile my own version of Fastmate and did not need to do this recently, so it's either a 1Password or macOS update causing this.

• Hey @XIII:

A diagnostics report would likely be the best way of determining why 1Password is having trouble detecting Fastmate. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

I can add/link Fastmate to Fastmail again with build 80800112, but Universal Autofill still does not work.

Diagnostics Report sent; BitBot's Support ID: #IWT-84158-372

• Hey @XIII:

Great, I located your message to us, so we'll be in touch soon after we've taken a look. Thanks!

Jack

ref: IWT-84158-372

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this?

I haven't received anything after the obligatory feedback on May 30 that it's on your internal tracker.

Can you please at least explain why you removed support for this App from v8's tentpole feature, after initially supporting it?

• Dave_1P
    edited July 2022
    Options

@XIII

Thank you for following up. Users should be able to use Universal Autofill with Fastmate (as mentioned by my colleague Tommy on May 25th). However the following change in 1Password version 8.7.1 is relevant to the issue that you're running into:

We now verify the code signature of apps before we allow filling using Universal Autofill.

Source

Since you've mentioned that you "compile [your] own version of Fastmate" this is likely causing your version of Fastmate to fail the new code signature check. If you download and run an official version of Fastmate then are you able to use Universal Autofill?

Our developers are looking to see if we can improve the situation for users of ad-hoc signed apps but I don't have any public-facing updates to share at the moment. Would a manual override when code signing verification fails be something that would work for you? If it would then let me know and I can file a feature request on your behalf. 🙂

ref: dev/core/core#15513

ref: dev/core/core#15558

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

We now verify the code signature of apps before we allow filling using Universal Autofill.

I read that quite some time ago and immediately tested the "official" Fastmate build, but Universal Autofill did not work in that build either, back then.

However, when I tried the same build again today (with a newer version of 1Password) it does work!

Would a manual override when code signing verification fails be something that would work for you?

Some kind of whitelisting? (Allowing a specific build, manual action only once?) Yes, I think that would help.

PS: "My" local build only changes the icon to the official Fastmail icon, so for now I'll use the "official" Fastmate build and manually modify the icon, which does not seem to break the signature.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@XIII

I'm happy to hear that Universal Autofill is working with the official build on your Mac!

Some kind of whitelisting? (Allowing a specific build, manual action only once?) Yes, I think that would help.

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to our developers so that they can see if this is something that we can introduce in the future. 😊

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Can you explain in a bit more detail how this works?

Why does the signature from the original developer work, but mine not? (I signed my build too)

• Hey @XIII:

As it currently stands, 1Password will only offer to fill into apps that have been signed by an Apple developer account. If you've signed this using an ad-hoc certificate, 1Password won't be able to fill into it.

Jack

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

As it currently stands, 1Password will only offer to fill into apps that have been signed by an Apple developer account.

That's what I thought.

Unfortunately I was/am signing using a Personal Team. That won't do then?

I do have an Enterprise Apple developer account, but bundle ID's & provisioning profiles are managed by a corporate department that very likely won't create a bundle ID and profile for this purpose.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2022
    Options

The purpose of checking code signatures is to make sure the app you're running is the unmodified version the developer published. Intentionally circumventing that is out of scope for 1Password support I'm afraid.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.