Login entries duplicated after upgrading to V8

Options
rpatti5177
rpatti5177
Community Member

Hello,

I just upgraded to v8 (from v7) and now I see all my accounts duplicated in 1Password.
Some entries are exactly the same, others are different (i.e. different passwords or other details).

So while before I could just hit one button and autofill the correct account details, now I have to find the correct (i.e. current) account by last modified date, and then autofill 🙄

This is a mess right now!

Any idea on how to revert the duplicates, or at least automatically clean them in such a way that the current login details are maintained and the old ones are removed/archived?

Thank you.

ps: very disappointing upgrade process!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:duplicate

Comments

• Hello @rpatti5177, I'm very sorry to hear of this, and understand why this is not a desirable state of affairs for your data.

From what we've seen so far, this seems to be occurring when someone has a standalone vault, manually moved some or all of these items to a 1Password subscription vault, and then the old vault continued to exist (which is to say, wasn't deleted).

The process to fix it goes approximately:

1. Temporarily downgrade to 1Password for Mac 7
    2. Use the duplicate finder feature in this app to fix the duplicate items
    3. Reinstall 1Password 8

For the specifics, I'd recommend sending a brief email to support@1Password.com - we'll be happy to help you through each step of the process, and ensure that your data makes it over safely. And we look forward to resolving the situation for you!

• rpatti5177
    rpatti5177
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for following up Peter, much appreciated.

I ended up finding and removing the duplicates manually. It took some time but at least now my vault is clean.

Any idea how I can find the standalone vault and delete it, so this doesn't happen again in the future?
    And any cons in deleting the standalone vault?

Thank you!

• Hey @rpatti5177:

Now that you've migrated to 1Password 8, you shouldn't run into any trouble like this in the future. 1Password 8 only supports 1Password memberships, so any standalone vaults you have on your computer won't cause any issues with 1Password 8.

Jack

• rpatti5177
    rpatti5177
    Community Member
    Options

Great, thank you.

• Thank you @rpatti5177, and best regards from all of us 😃

• IAmPissed
    IAmPissed
    Community Member
    Options

You are correct when you say:

"From what we've seen so far, this seems to be occurring when someone has a standalone vault, manually moved some or all of these items to a 1Password subscription vault, and then the old vault continued to exist (which is to say, wasn't deleted)."

But what no one is addressing is how this happens>. It happens when the upgrade process just here for hours and hours and never finishes:

So how are we to move to 8 when this process only moves some stuff, but never finishes?

I've been through this once, and it totally screwed up my vault, and took weeks to fix. Now that I got it fixed, it is happening all over again while trying to upgrade.

Yes, I know many will say that it was dumb of me to try again, but then again I was hope that newer versions of 8 fixed this. Clearly it is still a mess. Please tell me how to get past this failed importation.

Many thanks, Jim

• It looks like we got you sorted @IAmPissed! Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with.

Jack

• bitb3nd3r
    bitb3nd3r
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem with upgrading and a large volume of duplicates being created. I tried to follow the instructions @PeterG_1P specified however, after downgrading to 1Password 7 and trying to eliminate the duplicates it only eliminated about 19 of several hundred duplicates created. What files contain the password database so I could try to restore it to its state prior to the upgrade?

• bitb3nd3r
    bitb3nd3r
    Community Member
    Options

Any help on trying to identify the files I would need to restore to recover my previous passwords so they are not duplicated?

This discussion has been closed.