1Password 8 doesn't even auto select the password I need (let alone autofill...)

Options
PDXfoster
PDXfoster
Community Member

Previously, in 1Password 7, when I would click into an application, I could get 1password to recognize it using something like "app://com.microsoft.Outlook" in the links - it wouldn't actually autofill, but it would at least pull up the right password, so I wouldn' t have to search for it every time. I was intrigued by version 8, with the claims of "universal autofill" where it would autofill passwords into any application - not only does that part not work, but the recognition is gone now, so I have to search for my passwords EVERY time - which adds a huge amount of friction, and the menubar dropdown is gone too - which on the surface wouldn't be so bad, but now the full application has to load, which slows things down further.

I downloaded version 8 because I thought it would reduce friction in entering passwords - hoping it would eliminate a couple clicks worth of copy-paste. Instead I now have to open the app, search, select the correct entry, copy, paste. So now something that took ~2 second in 1Password 7 takes ~10 in 1Password 8.

...then I went in to see if there was a setting I needed to tweak or something to enable this "universal autofill", and found a bunch of the settings are gone - I was looking for biometric/apple watch settings, nuanced timeout settings, maybe the elusive "universal autofill" settings - I found there are now only ~34 settings, compared with ~42 in the previous version, and most of those missing settings appear to be from the security pane.

I'm a developer, I understand nothing is perfect out of the box on the first release. But I don't see support documentation, or any info on troubleshooting any issues, and it was advertised as a stable release. I can't get it to work with okta SSO, which my Corp IT has pu in front of EVERYTHING, and my password for that is long... I'm at the point where I'm considering downgrading because it's just not working as advertised, and it feels like there were a bunch of features lost with the update. (I'm so busy taking an extra 8 seconds to enter my password, I haven't had time to get into the new CLI and dev tools - I'm excited to look at those, but the core functionality I've come to rely on has to continue to work.)

Am I missing some crucial step to get things set up to work correctly with universal autofill?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.4
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 8 doesn't auto select the password I need

Comments

• Hey @PDXfoster:

That definitely isn't the experience we want you to have with Universal Autofill, so I'd be happy to help.

While it's absolutely possible to link apps to the Login item so they're suggested while filling, it's a slightly different process than the app://bundleid method that 1Password 7 used. To link a Login with an app, press ⌘+\ to Autofill, then search for the item you'd like to fill into your currently focused app. Tap Return to Autofill it, and you'll be asked to either Fill Once, or Fill & Update Login. If you fill once, the app won't be linked, but if you choose Fill & Update Login, the app will be added to the Linked Apps section of that item, where it will be suggested again in the future.

Let me know how you get on with that, and if you're still running into trouble, we can definitely take a closer look.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.