How can I stop receiving an email every time I open 1Password on my Mac?

Options
mikenjojo
mikenjojo
Community Member

I want to know how I can stop getting an email every time I open 1Password on my Mac.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 12.4
Referrer: forum-search:How can I stop receiving an email every time I open 1Password on my Mac?

Comments

• @mikenjojo Can you tell us more about this? What kind of emails are you seeing?

Thanks!

• mikenjojo
    mikenjojo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I get a New sign-in from Safari email every time I open 1Password.

• Ben
    Options

@mikenjojo

Are you resetting Safari every time, by chance, or otherwise clearing its local database? Or, do you have Private Relay enabled on your Mac? We've seen some similar reports, but I'm not sure we've definitively nailed down what is causing the problem.

Please let me know.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#10342

• mikenjojo
    mikenjojo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

I am seeing safari every time. I also have Private Relay enabled on my MacBook Air.

• mikenjojo
    mikenjojo
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry I read your first sentence wrong. I clear my history every time I close out Safari (if that's what you are talking about).

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @mikenjojo.

I clear my history every time I close out Safari (if that's what you are talking about).

If you don't do that, do you still get the email the next time you launch Safari?

Ben

• mikenjojo
    mikenjojo
    Community Member
    Options

I don't get the email when I launch Safari. I get the email when I open 1Password from the icon on my laptop.

• mikenjojo
    mikenjojo
    Community Member
    Options

I tried not clearing history and relaunching Safari. I still get the email. :(

• Ben
    Options

Gotcha. Thanks for trying. I'm just trying to narrow down some variables, because we're not sure why this is happening. It does not happen for most users. Would it be possible to try:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Turn off Private Relay
    3. Relaunch Safari
    4. Open 1Password in Safari

Does the email also get generated then? Either way, you can turn Private Relay back on after testing.

Ben

• mikenjojo
    mikenjojo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

It still happens. It's really not a big deal, I just wasn't sure if it was something I was doing.

Does it matter if I am using a VPN?

Thanks for all your time. :)

• Hi @mikenjojo, a VPN could certainly be a factor. That would make your IP address and location appear different, and I could definitely see how that would result in a notification. Are you able to test without the VPN and see if it still happens? Thanks for working with us to figure this out!

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

I once had this problem and it was related to Cookie.app, which removes cookies that are not identified as Favorites
    Shutting down the Cookie.app, and not using it fixed the problem

but I believe this isssue with cookie.app was solved as I am using 1Password 8 and Cookie.app is running and I do not get emails, and 1Password items in Cookie.app are set as favorites

It case you do use this Application or a smilar one

• ag_tommy
    Options

@Gilles9

Cookie.app could be a great example for this type of issue, though I haven't used it in years now. Thanks for sharing.

• mikenjojo
    mikenjojo
    Community Member
    Options

Hello All,

I haven't used the Cookie app. Never heard of it until now. Thanks for bringing it up. :)

An update for you all. I haven't received an email the last few times I have opened 1Password. I am not sure why, as I haven't changed anything. Whatever the blip was, it seems to be gone.

Thank you for all your help. It has been much appreciated.

• 13Jimpal
    13Jimpal
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

I’ve just started seeing this too, now that I have installed 1Password 8. My primary computer, with 1Password 8 installed, is an iMac. I also have 1Password 8 installed on a MacBook Pro, with the same login and Apple ID. When my wife used 1Password twice on that MacBook this morning I received two emails.

• 13Jimpal
    13Jimpal
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

This just happened again as I received an email when I used 1Password to sign in from my iPad. Again, same 1Password 8 account and Apple ID. How do I stop this annoyance?

• Hi @13Jimpal:

We're currently investigating this, do you have Safari on your iPad or iPhone configured to clear browsing data? Do you use Safari Private Relay? Let me know and we'll be able to take a closer look.

Jack

• 13Jimpal
    13Jimpal
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your concern. This stopped later on May 30, and hasn’t recurred. I am not configured to clear browsing data, nor do I use Private Relay. Looks like something you guys were doing, and then fixed.

• Glad to hear @13Jimpal! Feel free to get in touch if you run into any trouble again.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.