The application 1password.app is not open anymore

Options
Piggy
Piggy
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Mac

I experience this problem periodically on my iMac Intel, MacBook Pro M1, MacAir M1 and now my Mac Studio M1 Max. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Until today, I've only ever experienced this for 1Password. Today it was for a different (new) application. A Google search for "macos the application is not open anymore" results in many pages of websites all describing the same problem but for different apps, the same un-helpful explanation, and the same fixes which vary from force-quitting the apps & processes to restarting the Mac.

Is this a macOS bug??? It sure seems like it. I would think the developer community would be pounding Apple about this. I've been experiencing this for so long that I'm not sure if it's limited to Monterey or existed on Big Sur.

Does anyone have info about this issue?

1Password Version: 7.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    Options

iMac Intel - personal, sold it a week ago
    MacBook Pro M1 - work, 2 weeks old
    MacAir M1 - personal, 1 year old
    Mac Studio M1 Max - personal, 2 weeks old

• LuWi
    LuWi
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem since the update to OSX 12.4

• LuWi
    LuWi
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem since the update to OSX 12.4.
    Greetings from Berlin Germany

• Dave_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hello @Piggy and @LuWi! 👋

I'm sorry that you're both running into an error message when using 1Password 7. I haven't seen any reports of this issue with 1Password 8 and I suggest that you both update. You can download 1Password 8 directly through our website:

Please let me know if you run into any issues with installing 1Password 8 from our website and I'll be happy to help further. 😊

ref: apple-5581

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave, I'm sticking with 1P v7 until the 1P v8 UI improves or I have no choice but to upgrade. I have posted about v8 if you care to search for my posts.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Piggy

Thank you for the reply. I hope that we can win you over to 1Password 8 in the future. Thank you for posting your feedback in the other threads.

With the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. While you can continue to use 1Password 7 I encourage you to update to 1Password 8 when you can.

-Dave

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P, I think I read that it's safe to use 1P7 on one Mac and 1P8 on a different one without fear of corrupting anything. Is this correct?

What about extensions? I have Chrome, Firefox and Safari syncing settings between all my Macs.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@Piggy

Yes, that's correct. You can use 1Password 7 and 8 amongst different devices. If all of your devices are using a membership you should have no trouble.

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this 1Password 7 issue? I gave in and upgraded to 1Password 8 five weeks ago and have found it's missing a lot of functionality; 1P v8 appears not to be an upgrade - but a rewrite - that is not feature comparable with 1P v7 - at least not yet. For example:

• Cannot modify the Remember Me login field. i.e. View Saved Forms Details
    • Cannot re-save a login over an existing login record to update fields the way we could in v7
    • Vault functionality was not present - then Collections were added - but it's not quite the same. I have 7 Vaults and 2,000 records
    • No option to show record and tag counts
    • When I perform a search, the results are not sorted alphabetically
    • Can't rename a tag
    • Can't reorder website entries within a login record
    • Numerous cosmetic/aesthetic differences that are undesirable
    • And more...

I experience the "the application 1password 7.app is not open anymore" so often that it's unusable. Customers are being told it's OK to stay on 1Password 7, but we can't get support for it. I just need this one issue fixed. All my Macs are running Monterey. I'm not experiencing this problem with any other apps.

Please help us.

• @Piggy

1Password 7 is only receiving important security updates. If you quit the browser and then 1Password via the menu bar, it should put things where you can open 1Password 7 once again. The browser may not be necessary, but I've always included that in my routine. I take the same steps if and when I encounter the issue. I need to run both doing support, and these steps have not failed me. I know that is not the answer you were looking for. But perhaps they can make life a little easier.

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hi, quitting the browser is not an option. I have too many tabs open to work websites that will require re-loading and re-authentication. This happens multiple times during the day. I may also be doing product demos (I'm a sales engineer) and cannot just quit a browser while I have half a dozen tabs loaded and set to the URLs for the product features I am demoing to 10 people on a Zoom call. I work for a SaaS company.

Surely there are other customers experiencing this issue since I'm experiencing it on multiple M1 Monterey Macs? @LuWi wrote above that he's been experiencing the problem since upgrading to macOS 12.4, which is the same version I'm running.

Please help.

• LuWi
    LuWi
    Community Member
    Options

As you know I have the same problem since the update to OSX 12.4. My workflow to solve the problem is to restart the Mac. That eliminates the problem for a while. But it cannot be the final solution.
    Best regards from Berlin, Germany

• LuWi
    LuWi
    Community Member
    Options

FYI, this effect occurs on M1 Macs and Intel Macs alike.

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

I just zipped 1Password.app and 1Password for Safari.app, and installed the 1Password-7.9.5.pkg. I have not quit any browsers. At the moment it appears that I am able to use the v7 desktop app with the v8 browser extensions. Maybe this is a middle ground that will work. Will see how it goes and report back.

v8 is not an upgrade. It's a re-written version that's missing significant feature functionality that has been added to 1P over the years.

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

I have not experienced the problem since downgrading to v7 desktop app with the v8 browser extensions left installed.

• @Piggy

Don't jinx it. 🙂 Interesting find though. I appreciate you sharing it with me/us.

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    Options

I jinxed it. Just got the error. :-(

Will you please fix this? What information can I provide?

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    Options

Hasn't happened again since July 15. I'm sure I've gone and jinxed it again...

I still don't understand why you guys won't fix this or let us know what causes this. A google search results in many pages of people reporting this problem with other apps, so it would seem to be a Monterey issue. I have never seen any developer ever say a negative word against Apple, but this is not the case with Microsoft. Are you guys fearful of Apple? macOS is no more perfect than Windows. Please tell us what causes this and how to prevent if you are not going to (or are not able) to fix 1P v7.

• mortax
    mortax
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

this happens to me all; the time with 1Password for Mac 8.8.0 (80800203, on PRODUCTION channel). the odd thing is that is happen when 1Password is running.

• mortax
    mortax
    Community Member
    Options

• @mortax

Off-hand it sounds like 1Password 7 is still active on your system. Do you see it in your Applications folder? I have never seen a report from 1Password 8 with this message, it's always been 1Password 7. Have you ever used an older copy that may have been named simply 1Password?

• mortax
    mortax
    Community Member
    Options

sadly no. this is a new computer on which i never used 1password 7 (although i have a foggy memory of having to install it and upgrade instead of installing 1password 8 natively; am i crazy?). can i look for a remnant of 1password 7 or, ideally, whatever would cause this issue?

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi @ag_tommy , I do have 1Password 7 because 1Password 8 is a downgrade. The v7 app is a re-written version that's missing significant feature functionality that has been added to 1P over the years. I've itemized a few reasons above.

I am currently using the v7 app with the v8 browser extensions and it has dramatically reduced the occurrences of the error. Last week I installed the latest macOS update and haven't encountered the error. (I am sure I just jinxed it!)

I'm going to stay on the v7 app as long as I can in the hope that you will continue to improve the v8 app to bring it closer to feature parity. The longer I wait, the better the v8 app seems to get.

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    Options

Oh sorry @ag_tommy, I think your message was meant for @mortax. My bad.

• mortax
    mortax
    Community Member
    Options

one more bit of data: if i ⌘+Space to open 1Password with Spotlight, i get the error dialog. if i click on the 1Password icon in my dock, i get the same error. however, if i select the Open 1Password menu item from the menubar, it opens.

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    Options

@mortax Have you updated to macOS 12.5.1? I haven't seen the error since updating, but it's only been a week.

• All good @Piggy

@mortax

I would suggest keeping an eye on the menu bar and looking to see if you see two copies the helper. You can also look in the Applications folder for any additional copies. 1Password 8 uses the common name 1Password so if you see it listed that's most likely it.

• mortax
    mortax
    Community Member
    Options

yes, i am running 12.5.1.

what's the easy way to see the process controlling the menu bar? i looked and didn't see anything obvious. i also quite from the menu bar and restarted 1password. the menu bar is back and i haven't seen the error again -- but i suspect it's only a matter of time.

• mortax
    mortax
    Community Member
    Options

so far the error hasn't come back. 🤞🏻 i'll report it here if it does.

• mortax
    mortax
    Community Member
    Options

no further recurrences. i consider this fully resolved. thanks!

This discussion has been closed.