Save location for exports, remembering

Options
Mark Sealey
Mark Sealey
Community Member

When I do a File > Export of my vault, 1P 8 (which I love, thank you!) defaults to the Downloads folder.

1P 7 used to remember the location I chose, which was actually on an external volume, also backed up by Time Machine).

Can this be replicated in 1P 8, please?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Mark Sealey!

In general, I don't recommend exporting your passwords since that will remove them from the secure and encrypted environment of 1Password. Any exported copy of your passwords will be in plain text and so will be readable by anyone who views it. In addition to this if you change any of your passwords in the future the exported copy will become outdated.

Rather than exporting your items then might be a better way to accomplish your goal. Let me know why you're trying to export your items and I would be happy to help.

When I do a File > Export of my vault, 1P 8 (which I love, thank you!) defaults to the Downloads folder. 1P 7 used to remember the location I chose, which was actually on an external volume, also backed up by Time Machine).

I've reproduced this behaviour on my end and you're right that it differs from the export behaviour in 1Password 7 for Mac. I've filed an internal work item so that our developers can look into this further. Thank you for reporting the issue!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#15564

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Dave_1P : I really appreciate your cautionary advice on exporting.

Fortunately, I am the only one using my machine. So that particular aspect of security is not an issue :)

I'm exporting as a kind of 'last ditch' measure to preserve my data in the event that something catastrophic ever happened. In those circumstances I'd have a backup from which I could rebuild my 1P database.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Mark Sealey

Thank you for the clarification. I will note that with a 1Password account you're protected from catastrophe on both ends:

• If you lose access to all of your devices then you can still access and restore your data from 1Password.com as long as you have a copy of your Emergency Kit.
    • If 1Password.com were to completely disappear tomorrow you would still have access to your items on your devices.

You can also restore previous versions if you accidentally delete or edit an item incorrectly: View and restore previous versions of items

-Dave

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Dave_1P !

I can see how thoroughly Agile Bits protects us.

Yes, I do have my Emergency kit.

I suppose I'm just being over cautious.

• On behalf of Dave, you're most welcome @Mark Sealey ! 😊

This discussion has been closed.