iOS 1Password 3 upgrading to 4 with Mac and Dropbox syncing

Options
enkidu
enkidu
Community Member

Hey gyys,

I've been a long-time user of 1Password on my Mac and iOS devices. It is one of the handful of apps I must must must have. I recently noticed the 1Password 4 available for upgrade and downloaded it. I noticed a couple of things:

1. Dropbox syncing worked without having to enter my Dropbox password, clicking on the link, opened the Dropbox app, I approved the link and
    1Password immediately presented a password entering screen. A truly delightful experience!
  2. I use a different password to unlock my iOS 1Password 3, but that didn't work. I entered the same password I use on my desktop (which I assume is my true master password) and it unlocked.

Part of the reason I used a different password for my iOS devices was because at the time one of the characters I use in my master password wasn't enterable directly on the iOS keyboard (a bug which has since been fixed). My understanding was that the iOS specific password allowed access to the iOS keychain item(s) which stored the master password and the Dropbox credentials needed to sync the data stored on Dropbox.

Now it seems that with 1Password 4, the ability to use a separate password has been dropped. I have a few questions:

1. Given that I'm using Dropbox syncing, if I change my master password on my iOS device, am I correct in assuming that the same password change would need to be used on my Mac?
  2. Is the iOS keychain no longer used to store secure information?
  3. Am I correct in understanding that a master password change (on either iOS or Mac) generates a new master key?
  4. If a new master key is generated, does this cause a mass re-encryption/migration of all the data stored on Dropbox? How is this done in a safe and secure way?

BTW, I can't wait for 1Password 4 for Mac to come out!

Thanks!

enkidu / Dan

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us (and with such kind words)! :)

Given that I'm using Dropbox syncing, if I change my master password on my iOS device, am I correct in assuming that the same password change would need to be used on my Mac?

That is correct.

Is the iOS keychain no longer used to store secure information?

Also correct.

Am I correct in understanding that a master password change (on either iOS or Mac) generates a new master key?

No. The encryption key is re-encrypted with the new master password, but the key is the same. Please see my post in another thread about exactly that.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I'd be happy to address them as well.

Cheers!

• enkidu
    enkidu
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Khad! I think I got it, only the 1024 bit master key is re-encrypted when the master password changes. Cool. Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yep. That's it exactly. I'm glad I could help. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.