Application detection in 1PW8 doesn't work as in 1PW7

Options
daftu
daftu
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Mac

Hi all!
Previously in 1PW7 for MacOS there was functionality that when I've had an app X on top and then used 1PW shortcut to open Quick Access menu, it automatically detects the app ID (ie. for iTerm2 it is com.googlecode.iterm2) and tried to match wallet entries including URL matching app id (ie. app://com.googlecode.iterm2).
It was very useful to easyly autofill paswords not only in browser but in every app on my Mac.

In 1PW8 it doesn't work. I have a lot of entries with app://com.googlecode.iterm2 and other apps and it never hints proper entry from wallet.
It sometimes match the app with wallet entry but definitely not by this ID (for example today I've installed Battle.net app and when I tried to login 1PW8 displayed my saved Battle.net password and automatically filled into Battle.net app (!) but I dont have app ID matched with this entry, so it works in some different way.

Could you please fix this behavior? It was great feature I was using every day.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• ag_tommy
    Options

@daftu

1Password 8 does not use that method (URL - app://…). Please look into using Quick access and associating logins with your app. I think you'll like it much more once you train that muscle memory as I am doing now.

Get to know Quick Access

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

When an item is associated you'll see something like this. This is how my Fastmail login looks because I use the app Fastmate.

• daftu
    daftu
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Brillant!
    For other users searching for an answer:
    1. While an app you want to fill creds in is on top open Quick Access
    2. Search for an item (only for the first time)
    3. Click three dots on the right of entry you want to associate with app
    4. Select Autofill
    5. Choose Fill & Update login - wallet item will be associated with given app from now

Next time it will display item as a hint while opening Quick Access

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

@daftu

Let us know how it goes. I hope you'll love Quick Access and Universal Autofill.

• daftu
    daftu
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

What I have noticed so far is that it doesn't work for every app (doesn't really fill the password, no matter if using QA or UA).

• ag_tommy
    Options

Yes, there are some that may not work or perhaps we don't have the needed work done for that app on our side. Please let me know what apps you're having trouble with and I can get those before the team.

• daftu
    daftu
    Community Member
    Options

KeePassXC - don't ask why I'm using another pass manager :), but I have to (work related), and I keep passwords to KeePass safes in 1PW.

• daftu
    daftu
    Community Member
    Options

Another strange situation is when I'm trying to link 1PW with iTerm2, what is quite common I suppose.
    After clicking Autofill it ask me:
    Would you like to link your "XXX" item in 1Password with your macOS user account login?

So it asking me about linking to macOS account login instead of iTerm2.

• daftu
    daftu
    Community Member
    Options

I've tested both situation on latest beta: 1Password for Mac 8.8.0 80800104, to give you the most up to date information. Same behavior as in 8.7.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

I know there has been (internal) discussion on iTerm2. I only saw it in passing. My apologies on that. KeePassXC, well, work sometimes make things weird. My mrs. once had to use another product for her work, but hey you gotta do what pays those bills. She took the same route with the password. We're just happy to have you with us. 💙

I'll pass both reports over to the development team. Thanks for the help.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

@daftu

I've filed that info on KeePassXC with the team. They have the details on iTerm2.

• daftu
    daftu
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I'm looking forward to any informations.

• daftu
    daftu
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy I've found another situation Universal Autofill doesn't work.
    It's when trying to connect to network share in Finder (Cmd+K shortcut) and then in the server user/password dialog.

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member
    Options

"Autofill and then Choose Fill & Update login" does not work with LINE.app for Mac, which is the most popular chat app in Japan.

• Evgeny
    Evgeny
    Community Member
    Options

For me, the old app:// mappings were a way to ensure that certain apps were pinned to the top of the quick access list, without having to type a fuzzy match a dozen times a day. That's still possible here, but I would never have run into it -- I don't want my AWS account info to log in like a website, I just want it there at the top of the list to be able to take the MFA from it. Or, as another example, when LDAP is being used for SSH logins in iTerm2, I only want a passphrase, which also doesn't activate an association.

• It would be great to have a way to associate an app from an entry. It's counterintuitive that quick access is the only pathway to associating an app.
    • Alternatively, expand the trigger for associating an app to copying single values out of Quick Access.
    • iTerm2 doesn't map as iTerm2, but instead as 'macOS User Account Password', as noted above.
    • once iTerm is added, the Cmd-\ combo no longer works in iTerm. and I must use Cmd-Shift-space.
    • Visual Studio Code ("Code") maps properly with the pretend-to-login approach. However, as with iTerm, the Cmd-\ combo breaks.
  • Evgeny
    Evgeny
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, and -- ideally, 1P8 would flag app:// websites in existing entries as unsupported with a pointer to documentation on how it works now.

• daftu
    daftu
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy any updates to this?

• Not that I am aware of. Sorry @daftu There is always the possibility this is being worked on and I am not aware of it.

• daftu
    daftu
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any update of Autofill support for larger amount off apps? There's still plenty of apps where autofill doesn't work on MacOS and nothing changes in next relases :(

This discussion has been closed.