1Password bug: Passwords created by password generator are NOT the ones actually saved

Options
hselkirk
hselkirk
Community Member

I find 1Password invaluable and would like to use the password generator more often. However, it turns out that the passwords that it generates don't make it into the paste buffer with "Save & Copy". Instead, the Save and Copy operation generates yet another password - subject to the same rules - and puts that in the paste buffer. At least that seems to be what's happening.

In most password resets, you can't see what you are pasting in, so you have to take it on faith that what you thought you saved from 1Password is actually what is going to be your new password. Which I have learned the hard way is not the case at all.

There are simple workarounds, of course, but it seems to me pretty weird that a password manager can't get this most simple of tasks right.

1Password Version: 7.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Referrer: forum-search:password generator anomaly

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @hselkirk! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you ran into an issue when generating a new password using 1Password mini. This is a known issue, the password saved and the password copied to the clipboard should be the same. The only outlier is the password visually displayed in 1Password mini.

1Password 8 has a redesigned workflow for password generation and isn't affected by this issue. With the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. We strongly encourage you to update to the latest and greatest version as soon as you have the chance.

Please let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: apple-5262

This discussion has been closed.