iPassword 8 App will not lock on quit/close

Options
mlondon
mlondon
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Mac

I have used 1Password since v2 and entrust it with my most important data. Have been perfectly happy using version 7.x, but when v8 was released I naturally thought it would be an improvement.

HOWEVER - Unless I am missing something (if so, please let me know!!!) there is no way to have 1Password lock itself upon quitting the application. In other words, if one quits the application when it is unlocked, and then re-launches the application, it will continue to be unlocked!

This is a shocking oversight. As if the high-security company you hire to protect your assets leaves your building unlocked while they are re-decorating their headquarters.

I'm seriously disillusioned by the management of 1Password. I just recommended the app to someone, telling them it was 100% trustworthy, and now I'm going to have to go back to them to tell them they need to download the previous version because of this massive security flaw.

For now I've deleted v8 and fortunately have been able to pickup where I left off with v7.

Would really like to hear from someone on the 1P team about this.

1Password Version: 8.x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• mlondon
    mlondon
    Community Member
    Options

Does anyone know a way to set v8 so that it locks on quitting the app?

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member
    Options

Its not possible, you must ask for a feature request.

• mlondon
    mlondon
    Community Member
    Options

That's what I thought.

Epic fail.

I'm astounded that the developers could spend so much time on making things look pretty (actually a step backwards from v7 as far as I'm concerned), and fail to ensure the basic functionality of the software. If I wanted an un-secure place to keep my passwords, I could simply put them all in the Notes app.

• cyberskier
    cyberskier
    Community Member
    Options

Are you quitting from the menu bar? When I "quit" from the app window, it doesn't lock (although I suspect that is just closing the window and not quitting). When I quit using the menu bar icon, I'm prompted for my password when I re-open the app.

• Dave_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hello @mlondon! 👋

Thank you for writing in with your feedback. As mentioned by @B0rg, at the moment there is no "Lock when main window is closed" option in 1Password 8 but I would be happy to file a feature request on your behalf and learn more about your specific threat model. I see that you've also sent in an email and I suggest that we continue the conversation there. I'm closing this thread to prevent duplication of effort. 🙂

ref: CFH-88527-588

This discussion has been closed.