Version 8 is a step backward

Options
bkord123
bkord123
Community Member

When I press my keyboard shortcut, the old way would fill it in right on the screen and all I would have to do is press enter. Now you make me SEARCH for the login with that toolbar that pops up. Just as bad, or worse, is I used to be able to click the icon in the top Mac menu bar and select an option to generate a new password for a site I'm just starting to sign up with. That's inexplicably disappeared and my only options are Open 1P, Quick Access, Lock or Quit. Both of these things have incredibly hampered my workflow. A good app should keep what's good and makes workflow easy and build upon it, not remove features just to remove them. Unless I'm missing something, this is terrible. Brian Burke

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 12.4

Comments

• 13Jimpal
    13Jimpal
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with you, in simplicity of use. 1Password 8 is a handsome app, with many bells and whistles, but now it is more complicated to use with previous one-click actions now requiring two or more. I’ve been a customer for about ten years, and admired the simplicity of it over that time. Yet watching the complexity steadily grow since then. Much of this seems to be driven by a desire to make it a “better passwords police.”

I really like the 1Password concept, and their great way of filling a need with it. Plus, their outstanding customer support all this time. I just wish they had maintained the simpler interface. Consider this affectionate grousing from a long-time fan.

• statto1927
    statto1927
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also with you @bkord123 and @13Jimpal.

Another long time 1P user. Not a power user. I need simple things - a good secure password/login system that enables me to login quickly and generate new passwords easily. Somewhere to store secure info. All versions I've used since I started waaaay back with (probably v2) have done this and it's been one of my favourite apps on all my devices. v8 on Mac undoes all that. It's more complicated to use, takes too many clicks and worst of all, it's currently full of bugs as this support thread shows. I'm currently using a nightly update to see if things are being fixed, but for me the answer is not so far.

The old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" seems to have been missed here, and the stock response just seems to be is that it's a rewrite from the ground up and so some things haven't been included (even if they worked and made people's lives a lot easier)! Either that or "your voice" gets added to some list of things that developers might consider - like putting the password generator back where it's easy to get at - d'uh. Why take it away in the first place?

I'm hanging in here in vain hope that things improve, but as my late 2013 iMac is on the absolute latest version of MacOS that Apple will allow me to update to (Catalina 10.15.7 - and still working flawlessly by the way) and it seems that's the earliest version of MacOS that 1P8 will support, it's very likely that within a short period of time I'm not going to be able to use 1P8 anyway.

I'm very disappointed - not with the upgrade per se - I understand software has to iterate, but with the things that used to work well that either don't work well now or have been removed/not included (delete as applicable).

• garyber72
    garyber72
    Community Member
    Options

Version 8 is really bad. The user interface is clumsy. It refuses to Autofill Safari web pages in attempts to purchase. How do I go back to version 7? Time Machine?

• staysecure77
    staysecure77
    Community Member
    Options

I would really like them to bring back the item numbers next to the objects (example I know can quickly see how many accounts have been flagged by watchtower or how many weak passwords, how many compromised logins, reused, etc... it was all visible quickly in the left sidebar like it was in v7 for windows & Mac. It is still there in iOS but disappeared in v8 for Windows & Mac. but now you have to click watchtower to see all that information which is fine but still prefer the option to quickly click on any of those warnings from the left side bar and deal with it immediately.

Also the automatic lock timer should have an option where I can manually set it to say any number of seconds I like.. auto lock in 30 seconds or 20 seconds.. I believe it was a feature before but now not available.

• HelenBubz
    HelenBubz
    Community Member
    Options

I reverted to 1Pwd 7 only to find clicking 'Open and Fill' doesn't work.

Really does not work. Really, really does not work.

• It doesn't open Safari when 'Open and Fill' is clicked.
    • If I type the url in, it doesn't fill anything to produce the user name and password as required.
    • In fact I am ruing the day when I downloaded 1Pwd 8

1Pwd 8 should come with a health warning in my opinion.

• pattinson_james
    pattinson_james
    Community Member
    Options

Where is the password generator for 1P8 for MacOS App ???????

• HuskerJim
    HuskerJim
    Community Member
    Options

HOW THE HECK CAN YOU MAKE AUTOFILL WORK???? ALSO WHERE THE HECK IS THE PW GENERATOR???? At this point, I am wanting a full refund....A horrible, horrible release...

• walkingplaces
    walkingplaces
    Community Member
    Options

@bkord123 Completely agree with you - I've posted similar - I've downgraded to 7 and will use it until it breaks, then will move to another app unless @dteare and team finally listen to their customers

This discussion has been closed.