Is there a description of the export formats for 1password8?

Options
iherman
iherman
Community Member

I saw that the export format of 1Password8 has changed several ways:

• It is not possible to export vaults separately. I think this is a pity; I do use the vaults for different purposes and that was valuable for me
  • It is possible to export in CSV, which is absolutely great, thank you. Pity that it is restricted to certain types of entries only (but I understand that it is difficult to do otherwise...)
  • The 1pf format is not available any more, only the (binary) 1px format, whose structure is unknown to

My biggest issue is the last one. First, do not take me wrong: I love 1Password, have been a user for years, and do not intend to change. However, I do not like to feel "locked in" with all my data to one place and to a proprietary data format. What I have been doing for years is to regularly dump all my data into 1pf files, and store them separately in a folder (that I then encrypted via GPG + encrypted dmg). I also have a script that converts the 1pf files into JSON, extracting/simplifying the data to concentrate to what I need. It seems that this procedure became impossible in version 8 and, as I said, this makes me feel uneasy. What happens if, heaven forbid, 1Password was to disappear? Would all my data be essentially lost or become inaccessible? Due to the great features of 1Password, I have been using it for much more than just passwords; I use it to store securely all kinds of other data like my book catalogue or, recently, my vaccination credentials...

Are there plans to look into this? Or simply to enable the 1pf export per vaults and keep it at that? I do understand the danger of exporting the data in unencrypted form, and I think I know how to handle that...

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1
Referrer: forum-search:1Password8 export formats

Comments

This discussion has been closed.