Link to related item vs attaching a file

camner
camner
Community Member

Back in 1P's olden days, it was possible to attach a file to an item stored in 1P (my most common use case, emails associated with the purchase of a software).

Then, 1P seemed to abandon that approach and one needed to import an email into 1P as a document and then use the "link to related item" feature to connect the document to the software license, and to be seamless about it, I always made sure that I had each of the license and associated email as "related links" to one another.

Now, in 1P8, it seems that the "attach a file" feature is back!

I want to make sure I understand how this all works now, so, a few questions:

1. If a attach a file to a software license, that file is NOT entered into 1P as a document or anything else other than a file attached to the license, yes?

2. What is the intended use(s) for these two features (file attachment vs related item)? When would I prefer one to the other?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.6.5

Comments

• Hey @camner:

Great questions!

For number 1, yes, that's absolutely correct, your attachment will only be in the item, and won't be a separate Document item linked.

As for number 2, you can use it however makes the most sense for you. For example, I link my bank account Login item, my bank account item (with my routing and account number), and my Card item all together, a bit like this:

I store my SSH key in 1Password using our SSH agent functionality, so I link my SSH key to the items that I have my SSH key used with. Let me know if that makes sense!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.