Unable to share Families Vault with Existing 1Password customer

Options
roclarke
roclarke
Community Member

As a father of two adult sons I am preparing to give them their own 1Password Vault after managing all their data all their lives. I have a 1Password (Families) account and, in preparation to share, have placed both sons items into their own named vault and have shared the vault with each.

While one share worked fine I found out the other son already had their own paid 1Password personal account which also uses the same email address for which I have used to share the vault. When this son goes to access the vault I have shared the website provides no other option but to CREATE an account.

How does an existing 1Password customer gain access to a vault under a families account?

As an end result I would be OK to just delete all of their information from my 1Password account and have them manage everything themselves if it comes to that - just saying.

Thanks for your help.

My setup Windows 10, 1Password ver. 8.7.0
Sons setup Windows 10, 1Password ver 7.9.828

1Password Version: 8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @roclarke !

Your son should use one of the 1Password apps to sign in with both accounts. Then he should see the vault you shared with him in his family account and his private vault in his individual account. Now he should be able to copy / move all items from one vault to the other.

Maybe he could try if this works for him?

• roclarke
    roclarke
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks DenalB however the email account he used to setup his own personal account is the only email account he has therefore there can only be one instance of 1Password (as it links to the email account). Your idea is what I thought should have happened however it does not.

• Ben
    Options

@roclarke

There is no restriction on using the same email account across multiple 1Password memberships, with the exception that each email address can only be associated with one individual membership. There is no problem with having both an individual membership and a 1Password Families membership both with the same email, for example. 😃 You can invite your son who already has an individual membership to join your 1Password Families membership, using their singular email address:

Add and remove family members

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jk4
    jk4
    Community Member
    Options

This is almost clear to me but @Ben's seemingly oxymoronic opening sentence confuses me:

There is no restriction on using the same email account across multiple 1Password memberships, with the exception that each email address can only be associated with one individual membership.

How can an email address be used across multiple 1Password memberships if it is simultaneously restricted to an individual membership? Are you using individual here to mean an account that is neither associated with a 1Password Families, 1Password Teams or 1Password Business account?

The difference, if any, between ‘membership’ and ‘account’ is not clear. This is especially true when talking about an individual’s personal account. I’ll describe my situation, which sounds similar to what @roclarke described with his sons and try to make my questions as specific as possible to avoid ambiguity.

My similar situation

My wife already had a 1Password account. Because I now have a family account there is no need for her to continue paying for an personal account. I have invited her (via the email address she uses for her preëxisting personal account) to join the 1Password Families account I set up.

My questions

• Does she need to create a new login with the same email address?
    • What will she need to do, if anything, to use her membership in my 1Password Families account as a replacement for her 1Password individual subscription?

The goals here are:

1. To have her transition be as seamless over to 1Password Families as possible
    2. To not have to pay twice for her access to 1Password

Thanks so much for the help you all provide this community.

Joshua
    (3rd person: he • him • his)

• roclarke
    roclarke
    Community Member
    Options

That's correct Joshua (@jk4), you have understood the situtation correctly however, in my case, instead of a person coming INTO a family account I am sharing a Vault within the Family account (which contains all of my sons passwords) and giving it to him by sharing the Vault from within MY Families account to his Personal account. When he goes to accept access to MY Families account, containing a vault with his stuff, he is prompted to CREATE an account using an email address to gain access instead of asking him if he already has an existing account with 1Password and asking him to log in.

In essence, it won't let me share a vault in a Families account with someone who already has a personal account. It forces the person with a personal account to CREATE a NEW account.

Hope that helps.

• jk4
    jk4
    Community Member
    Options

It’s pretty frustrating. She now has two logins with the same email address. I think I’ll need to transfer her vaults from her personal account to her family account.

• Hey @jk4:

Thanks for following up. That's exactly right.

As an example: I can use my personal email account to sign into two 1Password accounts, my individual account that's only available to me, and my family account I use with my family. If I wanted to create another individual account, I couldn't, but if I were invited to another family account, that would be allowed using the same email address.

Once your wife joins your family account, she can copy all of her items from her old account to her new account, and then she can sign in to her old account on 1Password.com and remove her billing information so she's no longer charged for her individual membership.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.