Roll back from v8 to v6

Options
Erna0507209310923
Erna0507209310923
Community Member

Hello there!

My last 1Password installation was version 6. I now accidentally installed v8. How can I roll back to v6? – or at least get my data back. I am very concerned, that my data is lost, since I now have to sign up with an account that I never had before ...

Can you help me, please?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• tle
    tle
    Community Member
    Options

You can just uninstall 1PW8 and reinstall 7 or 6. If you want to be super safe, you can also export your data while you're on 1PW8 so you can re-import the data later. Maybe you also want to have a look at Strongbox, which is a great alternative if you're on macOS/iOS.

• Erna0507209310923
    Erna0507209310923
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your quick answer.

Unfortunately I cannot export my data, because I cannot login into v8, because I do not have an account. – I also already searched for a file containing my data in the Libraries folder, but couldn't find anything that looked promising. Can you tell me, where I should exactly find it?

• Hi @Erna0507209310923,

I am sorry to hear you had an issue upgrading to 1Password 8. It sounds like you were using the standalone (non-account) version of 1Password 6. Since 1Password 8 only supports 1Password memberships, you cannot view your standalone data in 1Password 8. One of our founders Dave chatted about why we are moving in this direction in another post.

With that said, 1Password 6 automatically backs up your standalone data. If you fully quit 1Password 8, move it from the Applications folder (and 1Password 7 if it's there) to the Trash, empty the trash, and install 1Password 6 from where you originally purchased it (the App Store or directly from our website), you should be all set.

As an aside, 1Password 6 is quite old and is no longer being developed - it was last updated in 2018. It supports macOS Yosemite and El Capitan. However, it was not designed with current-day operating systems or browsers in mind. Older versions of operating systems, hardware, or security software will become incompatible with current-day software as time goes on. Because of this, I can't guarantee 1Password 6 will continue to work correctly as you update your Mac, and thus I would highly recommend upgrading to the newer 1Password 8. 1Password 8 is receiving new updates and it's fully compatible with the latest version of macOS.

Moving forward, your best option is to upgrade to 1Password 8 for Mac with a 1Password membership. A membership has several advantages that are not part of the standalone setup:

Also, I would like to tell you about an awesome promotion we have for our licensed customers, like yourself, to upgrade to a 1Password membership. Currently, we are offering 50% off the cost of a new individual or family membership, for the first three years.

If you are interested in this offer, send an email to support+tradein@1Password.com, and we'd be happy to help you make the transition.

Cheers,

Alex.S

• Erna0507209310923
    Erna0507209310923
    Community Member
    Options

It's working! Thanks!!

• Thank you for letting us know, @Erna0507209310923. 👋

This discussion has been closed.