Inconsistent behaviour with Cmd+\ and Cmd+. with multiple logins on subdomains

Options
Strayer
Strayer
Community Member

I have a lot of stuff hosted on subdomains that use different account credentials. With the old 1Password Firefox extension and 1Password 7 I was able to autofill the login forms on subdomains by hotkey without issues. Since upgrading to 1Password 8 and the newer Firefox extension, my whole workflow got annoyingly complicated if there is more than one account for that domain.

When I click the 1Password icon in forms, I get ALL entries based on the full domain (meaning example.tld, igoring the subdomain portion). The first one is the only one used on this subdomain. This behaviour is fine (even though I'd prefer it to do filtering based on the FULL domain), but I have to use my mouse to use it. In general I'd like to NOT have this enabled at all because frequently screenshare to clients and before the upgrades was able to only share only my browser window and thus not the 1Password app selection screen, avoiding exposing other logins to the screenshare.

When I press Cmd+. the extension popup opens in Firefox and shows the same selection, but there I can't find a way to select the first entry just with my keyboard. The search input focuses and while I can select the first entry by pressing the down arrow, I can't "confirm" it by pressing Enter or anything else.

When I press Cmd+\ the quick select of the desktop app pops up, but that one shows all entries for the main domain (example.tld) in a to me unclear order. I need to use the search input to filter this list to get the login I want. This is the functionality I actually want to use, but can't because the selection is ordered incorrect.

My old workflow, which I got very accustomed to, is pretty much completely borked. I'm used to pressing a hotkey and if there is only one entry that matches the subdomain, it will get filled in and I'm ready to go. At most a popup opens when there is more than one login for that subdomain where I could quickly select the one I want.

Now I have to either grab my mouse, click the 1Password icon in the form and then select the login OR open the app popup, needlessly filter the list and then select the login I need.

I have a feeling this is AGAIN connected to the issue that I can't tell 1Password to EXACTLY MATCH subdomains on specific domains. This has been requested over and over again and makes my life as a Cloud Engineer / Software Engineer a huge pain in the ass.

PLEASE consider adding this feature.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: 12.4 (21F79)

Comments

• Hi @Strayer:

Thanks for your feedback on this.

You're absolutely right that 1Password in the browser currently only matches on the second level domain, and not any subdomains. This is something we're investigating, and I've shared your feedback with the team.

There's a few options that might work for your use case in the mean time.

Typing in the field the inline menu is displaying on will filter the results. For example, if you have a login for "Acme" on acme.example.com, typing in Acme in the username box will filter the results to only the items that match Acme. Here's a quick example:

The other possible option is using a separate browser profile for screen sharing, and creating a new vault in your 1Password account. Since you can limit which vaults are used to autofill in 1Password in the browser's settings, only including your "Screen Sharing" vault in that profile, and then copying the items relevant for Acme before starting a screen share with them will result in only Acme's items displayed.

Let me know how you get on with that.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-57

This discussion has been closed.