Loss of Manual Editing capability in 1PW-8 Generator, compared to 1PW-7's

Options
DougCranmer
DougCranmer
Community Member
edited June 2022 in Mac

Thank you for moving 1PW forward by maintaining it, and having a sustainable business model; I've been part of the 1PW community since 1PW-3. My workflow in 1PW-7 for password generation often led me to tweak 1PW-mini (browser extension) generated password a bit, adding complexity and capitalizing the first character of some words. Example: a generated password of red_blanket_memphis would get manually tweaked in the generator by me to Red_Blanket_@878_Memphis

It doesn't appear that any edits of the generated password are possible until the browser extension would complete a save of the generated password, then having to reopen the Login item with the main 1PW app window to do my manual edits. I appreciate the enhancements that have come with 1PW-8, but my ability to easily make my passwords more secure, without a lot of extra steps seems missing. Thanks for being here, and for considering user feedback.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.4 (21F79)

Comments

• Hi @DougCranmer:

Thanks for your feedback on this! We've found that Smart Passwords generally work well in most situations, and shouldn't need to be tweaked. Additionally, the Smart Password Generator is able to use both the passwordrules attribute, as well as a list collated by our friends at Apple here to automatically pick a password that matches what the site's looking for.

For the best randomness and entropy, it's best to let the password generator in 1Password generate the password, rather than tweaking it after the fact.

Jack

• DougCranmer
    DougCranmer
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate the lists basis which increases entropy and randomness. That said, stripping out a feature which gives a (paying) user choice during a version upgrade doesn't feel right. I can't say that I'm happy about it and there seem to be a fair number of similar concerns in the forum from other users. I'm not jumping off of 1PW after ten years of use, but I am left feeling less than appreciated.

• Hi @DougCranmer:

Thanks for your feedback on this. While I can't promise anything, I'll share your thoughts with the team.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.