How to I add an attachment to an item in 1Password 8? It used to be a simple drag and drop.

gcv
gcv
Community Member

It used to be VERY simple and useful to drag and drop an attachment to an item in 1Password. That feature seems to have disappeared. I was in the process of editing an existing item. I deleted the old attachments and when I tried to add a new attachment I couldn't. There is no drag and drop. There doesn't even appear a way to link a file in the new desktop version. If that is really the case then that is NOT an improvement, but a downgrade. Please help. How do I add an attachment to an item?

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS12.4
Referrer: forum-search:Add an attachment to an item

Comments

• Hey @gcv :

To attach a file to an item, select "+ add more", scroll to the bottom, and then select "Attach a File".

Alvin

• gcv
    gcv
    Community Member

Thank you. For some reason that option doesn’t show up on some of my existing items. That is what has me perplexed. I will go back and try to recreate the issue.

• statto1927
    statto1927
    Community Member

Seems a bit more convoluted than before, but that seems to be par for the course for a lot of things in v8

• Hi @gcv, we'll look forward to hearing more about this. Thank you for the chance to address it!

• gcv
    gcv
    Community Member

Choosing to add an attachment is now working. I still prefer the previous drag and drop, which was simpler and required fewer steps.

• Hi @gcv,

Thanks for letting us know things are working correctly.

Regarding your feedback for being able to drag and drop files directly on to an item to attach them, we are currently tracking this feedback internally. I can't make any promises regarding when/if this feature will return, but I have added your thoughts to our internal tracker as well.

All the best,

Alex

ref: dev/core/core#9465

• shemphill
    shemphill
    Community Member

Yes, I too much preferred Drag and Drop! I always keep the email receipt from software purchases and store those in my Software Licenses entries. I don't want to create ANOTHER file to choose when adding an attachment. I just want to be able to drag and drop the email onto the software license entry to attach it. This was WAY WAY WAY better before.

I used this feature constantly and am not sure I want to make a bunch of PDFs from emails just so that I can attach them in 1Password. PLEASE bring back the drag and drop feature!!

• Murphybp2
    Murphybp2
    Community Member

I had this same issue. What was confusing me is that I already had a document on an item and wanted to add another one. So right below the existing one was a link that said "add another item". When I clicked that a message popped up that said "Link to a related item". I knew I didn't have anything to link to, but thought the next window might give me an option to add my new item to then link to. But that's not how it worked.

Previously when you added an attachment, it was created as a Document and then linked to the item. Where when I added the new attachment using the instructions above, I don't also see it as a document. So I'm assuming attachments are being handled differently in the new version.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Sadly this is another example that looks like all former UX/UI designers with macOS experience have left AgileBits. Instead of drag and drop we now have to use more or less hidden menus.

• Hi @shemphill and @viswiz,

Thanks for taking the time to share that this is an important feature to you and explaining your use case, I've added proxy votes on your behalves. 🙂

@Murphybp2,

That's correct, how documents are handled has changed over previous versions. I'm unable to reproduce the "Link to a related item" message in 1Password 8, is that where you're seeing it? If you're using 1Password 7, you can add an additional file to an item by clicking Add New File:

If you're still unable to add an additional document to an item, I'd like to ask you to take a screenshot of what you're seeing so we can troubleshoot further:

Please be careful not to include any private information as these discussions are public. Looking forward to your reply!

This discussion has been closed.