Feature Request: Change Field Type

Options
brendanc
brendanc
Community Member

Please give us the option to change field types as long as their data type is the same. For example:

If I accidentally create a text field, I should be able to change it to a password, url, email, or phone type (and vice versa). I am not sure but I seem to remember this being an option in previous versions.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @brendanc :

Thanks so much for taking the time to request this feature. We currently have an open feature request for the ability to convert item field types, and I've added a proxy vote to the request on your behalf.

Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime! Thanks again. 😊

Alvin

ref: IDEA-I-530

• friedlotto
    friedlotto
    Community Member
    Options

Vote+1

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    Options

OMG - this is so needed - I'm about 2.4 seconds away from returning to 1Password 7 simply because of all the removed features in 1Password 8. I'm really disappointed in the apparent lack of usability testing that went into version 8 - there is no other explanation or the utter disregard for all the UI and functional features removed from version 8.

• Hi @friedlotto / @esquared:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've added your feedback to the internal discussion Alvin mentioned above.

Jack

• rpendleton
    rpendleton
    Community Member
    Options

This (and the lack of reordering items) is a pretty annoying regression between 1Password 7 and 1Password 8. The only workaround is to re-add the fields with the type (or in the order) you want, and then copy and paste between the old fields and the new fields. And just for fun, copy and paste between fields is really finicky and doesn't always work for some reason, which makes this even more of a chore.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    Options

I know I commented just a couple weeks ago, but today I had to add about 10 fields to one entry. The whole "click, select field type, click, enter field name, click, enter field value" is really really cumbersome. In 1P7, you just click 10 times to add 10 fields, then use to move between fields and type, and sometimes set the field type.

In other words, the usability of the new UI is seriously lacking, especially for anyone who attempts to live hands-on-keyboard (no/minimal mouse/track-pad). Please reconsider the UI around adding fields and make sure you have some real UX folks on the team to provide feedback.

As I've started adding to all of my posts on 1P8 missing or broken features, please don't take my negative comments as a indictment of the entire effort, but do reconsider the usability of the tool - you clearly put a lot of effort into the new UI, but not enough on usability testing. Fix the broken issues. Add back in the missing features. Let your then your once-again happy customers like me become your advocates for the new version. Until then, I'm still recommending to everyone I know and all my employees that they stick with 1P7. It's a superior tool form a usability perspective.

• Hi folks, just wanted to say that we appreciate your input here, and we now have votes tallied for everyone here as well. We'll keep improving the app and look forward to impressing you as we go. 😃

This discussion has been closed.