1Password 4 uses the same Master Password as the desktop

Options
StanTheMan
StanTheMan
Community Member
edited June 2013 in iOS

Having purchased 1P 4.2.1 from the App Store there are now 2 Versions of 1P on my iPhone.
I can Sign-Log In to the earlier Version, Use and Sync via Dropbox without any problem.
Opening 1P 4.2.1 I am required to enter the Master Password.
Not having been given the opportunity to enter a Fresh Master Password I assumed that the old Master Password would be carried over.
Apparently this is not the case.

Being unable to access 1P 4.2.1 it was deleted and Downloaded again.
Unfortunately the same situation persists.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• jackr
    jackr
    Community Member
    edited June 2013
    Options

Since upgrading from version 3.7.2 to version 4.2.1 (today) I have had some trouble entering the Master Password. It seems like the first entry always fails, but the second succeeds. I've taken to being very very careful about MP entry, but still it seems to fail, nearly always on the first entry, not uncommonly on the second, then eventually succeeds.

The MP I'm entering is the "old" one, and eventually it does work, so I can confirm your guess that you should be using that one.

Any chance you're seeing the same intermittent failures I seem to be? I've been assuming it was just operator error (even though I can and do enter that MP frequently to the old 1P). But maybe not?

• StanTheMan
    StanTheMan
    Community Member
    Options

It happens EVERY Sign-Log On jackr

Thanks for your input.

Assuming that the Old Password HAS been carried over I am absolutely confident that the correct entry is being made, otherwise how would I be able to access the Older Version of 1P?
    Because of the Keyboard differences between the On Screen iPhone and Apple Hardware Keyboard it is not practical to enter my complex Master Password [used for 1P on the Mac] when wishing to access 1P on the iPhone, so the the iPhone version was modified.
    In case there was some chance that the Old Password, despite the considerable passage of time since the change, had been 'remembered' the original version was also tried many times.

Stumbled across this in the Guide:

Previous 1Password 3 apps on older devices will remain with the older master password except for the Dropbox sync, it’ll stop syncing until you enter the new master password in the Settings > Sync > Dropbox in 1Password 3.

The Old 1P Sync to DropBox has functioned as expected and to be sure did that again just now at 07:06 BST! There was nil request or apparent need to change the Password.

However this still does not confirm that the Old Password has been transferred to the New App. Since it is a New App and not an Upgrade perhaps it would have been a good idea to require a New Password during a Set Up procedure?

• isdanreally
    isdanreally
    Community Member
    Options

Are you using the master password that you use on your computer? Previous versions of 1Password had a PIN and then a more secure "master password." That master password however, was not necessarily the same master password as your computer would use. 1Password 4 for iOS now only lets you use your main master password (i.e. no longer is simpler master password on your phone allowed).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

What @isdanreally said. :)

Please let me know if you can confirm you are entering the Master Password you use to unlock 1Password on your desktop computer, @StanTheMan.

• StanTheMan
    StanTheMan
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the delay in replying [Have I perhaps missed requesting email Notification of replies?], but busy with non computing projects at this time.

The Master Password for the Mac and the iPhone are different.

Regardless of the requirement of 1Password 4 for IOS how can it be changed if the User is locked out, or have I missed something?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The Master Password for the Mac and the iPhone are different.

They used to be. As isdanreally said, this is no longer the case in 1Password 4. You can read the full description in the FAQ:

I’ve just upgraded to 1Password 4 from version 3, but version 4 won’t accept my master password!

Please enter the Master Password you use to unlock your data file on your desktop machine and let me know if that doesn't work.

• StanTheMan
    StanTheMan
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I certainly missed something, by typing out my Mac iPassword Master Password in TextEdit it was possible to ponderously enter the correct sequence of 18 key presses that include High & Low Case Characters, Numbers and Symbols requiring the use of all three keyboard Screens.
    This is not something that will be practicable in an emergency, and perhaps just as well that it did not require my original 29 key-press version?
    Just to be crystal clear that is 29 remembered key-presses never written down and without a 'memory jogging' reminder.

Agile overlooked the abilities of Hardware Keyboards to easily accomplish these entries.
    So this is forcing me back to into seeking a completely different solution to remember a truly complex password that can be entered on the iPhone and then change the Mac Master Password to that.

Searching for the appropriate information failed to find the Link to mention above.
    Unfortunately this is typical in my experience.
    So is the lack of clear communication when changes take place.
    These are things that Agile need to address.
    1Password as a total package used to be something to swear by, but right now I am cursing 1Password for IOS.
    Allowing the updated App to Sync the screen timed out and I will have to mess around with the 3 Screen Input again.

Is it REALLY progress to have one password for two items, this seems to fly in the face of the concept of having different passwords for everything? I do not need an answer to this question and I doubt your explanation will change my mind.

• StanTheMan
    StanTheMan
    Community Member
    Options

OK it is back to square one, changing the Master Password on the Mac does not change the Master Password on the iPhone.
    Where does one go from here?

• StanTheMan
    StanTheMan
    Community Member
    Options

Time to move on and experiment.
    Deleted 1Password and it's Data from the iPhone.
    Changed the Master Password for IPassword on the Mac.
    Downloaded, Installed and Opened 1Password for the iPhone.
    1Password for the iPhone checked DropBox and the Cloud, then Synced the Data.
    So up and running again.
    What is to expected when the Mac Master Password is next changed?
    I assume that the tail will not wag the dog, but based on recent experience it cannot be trusted.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

changing the Master Password on the Mac does not change the Master Password on the iPhone.

It does, but the old master password is also accepted until syncing is complete and the encryption keys are verified to be consistent.

If you try the new master password it will work, but if your only test was trying the old master password that would have worked as well.

Once you have used the new master password to unlock 1Password for iOS then the old master password is invalidated.

Of course, we don't recommend changing your master password unless it is weak or reused, so this is not something you would need to do with any regularity whatsoever. A good master password should be for life. :)

If there is anything else I can help with please let me know. I'd be happy to help more.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.