Moving items from one category to another

Options
chanq51
chanq51
Community Member

I have tried (in 1Password 8) to create an item in the 'Passwords' category. However, although selecting 'Passwords' as the required category, the newly-created item defaults to being a 'Login' item. Having been created as a 'Login' item, I can find no way to move it from a 'Login' item to a 'Password' item. Can anyone help, please?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @chanq51:

If you create a Password item, but add a username, it will be considered a Login. Does that sound like what you're running into?

Jack

• chanq51
    chanq51
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jack,

No, not really. It doesn't seem to matter what I add, it still defaults to a login item. Thanks for the reply.

• Hi @chanq51,

Great question! Generally, it's not possible to change a given item's "type" after it has been created. There is an exception to this rule when it comes to converting a password item to a login item. In 1Password 7, it was possible to convert a password item to a login item by selecting a button:

In 1Password 8, we have changed this process somewhat to make it more intuitive. All password items come with an empty username field by default. If you leave the field blank when creating it, the item will remain a password item. See my short video below for context:

If you wish to change your password item to a login item, you can do so by adding a user name to the username field when editing the item. Further, this conversion is only one way. That is to say, it's not currently possible to change a login item back to a password item. You would need to create a new password item in this case.

I hope that helps clear things up!

Alex

• chanq51
    chanq51
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Alex,

Many thanks for the reply. Sadly, I was unable to watch the video. My understanding, though, is that I need to leave the Username field blank when creating a new item, otherwise the new item will default to being a Login. That is not very intuitive, if I may say so. Perhaps it might be better, if the new item is to be a Password item, that the option of a Username field is not offered.

Many thanks, once again, for your reply.

Very best wishes,

chanq51

This discussion has been closed.