Where is password generator in version 8? How can I open this directly?

zysset
zysset
Community Member

Where is password generator in version 8? How can I open this directly? I just want to generate a password and not create a new login. Thanks for the help

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Referrer: forum-search:where is password generator in version 8? Thanks for the help

Comments

• Hey @zysset:

You can access the Password Generator via the browser extension. To locate the Password Generator:

1. Open a browser window.
    2. Click on the 1Password icon located in the browser's toolbar.
    3. Click on the Settings button:

1. Select Password Generator.

I hope that helps! 😊

Alvin

• zysset
    zysset
    Community Member

Hi Alvin,

thank you very much, this helps me enormously. Everything is clear now😊

Thanks for the great instructions👍

Best regards
    Marcus

• AdrianB
    AdrianB
    Community Member

This had me confused as well, placing it under Settings is not very intuitive, took me a while to find it there the first time and I tend to forget it's there after some time.

• nigel1808
    nigel1808
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

I'm really confused by this. There is 1password app, 1password mini and browser extensions for Safari and Chrome, both of which browsers I use.

In 1P7 I think I had uninstalled the browser extensions because pressing Cmd-\ did everything I needed with less confusion, including I think allowing me to create new passwords? Or maybe I am misremembering. SO I don't have the browser extensions installed.

Now in 1P8 pressing Cmd-\ either fills the password (with a lovely UI) or offers the excellent new floating quick access interface if I have a choice of credentials to use.

But if I want to ask 1P to create a new password then in 1P8 I have been doing this:

• open 1Password app
    • New Item / Login
    • Type in the memorable name
    • Type in or copy and paste the email or username
    • Generate a password
    • Paste that back in to the site
    • Paste the FQDN of the site in to 1Password
    • Press save, then close 1 password

I'm sure this clumsy approach is not what is intended. What is the best way to do this currently please?

• Mike.Heath
    Mike.Heath
    Community Member

1Password 8's Chrome extension doesn't have a generate password command when you select the drop-down menu. The suggestion here is to select "Settings", but that selection is not available in the latest version of Chrome for Mac. When I instead select Preferences, I still don't see a selection to generate a password. This is a horrible downgrade from 1Password 7, where generating a password was immediately available in the Chrome extension drop down menu.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

1Password 8's Chrome extension doesn't have a generate password command when you select the drop-down menu. The suggestion here is to select "Settings", but that selection is not available in the latest version of Chrome for Mac.

Sorry if I am not understanding, but with macOS 12.6 and the latest Chrome version (106.0.5249.103 Official Build, x86_64), when I click the Settings ("hamburger") button as in the above screen shot posted by Alvin.L_1P I get the following:

Do you get something different?

• JoelZumoff
    JoelZumoff
    Community Member

In macOS Monterey 12.6 and the 1Password 8.9.4 application one can generate a new password by:
    opening the 1Password application
    clicking the "+ New Item" button
    clicking "Login" under "Get Started"
    clicking in the "Password" field
    clicking "Create a New Password"
    clicking "Use"
    copying the password from the "password" field
    clicking the "X" in the upper right corner of the "New Item" box
    clicking "Discard Changes"
    exiting 1Password
    The new password is on the clipboard for pasting wherever it is needed.

This discussion has been closed.