What happened to the mini interface in 1P8?

AMonitorDarklyAMonitorDarkly
Community Member

I'm not sure if this has been brought up already but why was the mini interface eliminated in 1P8? Now when you click the 1P icon in the menu bar, you only have the option for a menu, a search window or the main app interface, none of which are particularly useful and make the existence of the menu bar icon pretty useless.

I see that the search window can eventually lead you to something that vaguely resembles the mini interface but it requires several extra steps to get there.

Overall, I'm happy with the cleaner appearance of 1P8 but the above is just one of several instances of removed functionality, which I just don't get.

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• DavidBDavidB Senior Member
    Community Member
    edited June 10

I see that the search window can eventually lead you to something that vaguely resembles the mini interface but it requires several extra steps to get there.

I think what you are referring to is the browser extension "pop up." (It's not the same as the Mini, but at least it's something.)

You can access it directly by opening a browser window and clicking on the 1Password icon in the toolbar, or pressing Shift-Command-X.

EDIT:

The keyboard shortcut is Shift-Command-X for Safari, Chrome, Brave and Edge, but Shift-Command-Period (.) for Firefox.
    https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/

David

• notnotjakenotnotjake
    Community Member

Yep. The removal of Mini is a real miss in my book. As others have mentioned, it reduces the ability to rely on 1Password for non-password, private information. I want to keep server details in 1Password, but the new Quick Access (replaces Mini) is only built for usernames and passwords. I don't think 1Password understands its product. It really thinks the new version is great because they don't use it like us power-users do. Oh well, I'm not holding my breath for any improvements.

• AMonitorDarklyAMonitorDarkly
    Community Member

@DavidB No, I'm referring to the Mini interface. Prior to 1P8, you could click the icon in the macOS menu bar and get an interface that's similar to the browser extension pop up. It was nice because it was like the browser extension pop up, except you didn't need to be in a browser. No the interface from the menu bar has been inexplicably changed to something that requires several extra steps to get to what I used to be able to get with a single click.

I'm seeing several others have brought this up but I haven't seen any staff comment on it.

• peet1peet1
    Community Member

@AMonitorDarkly wow, yeah I've been testing 1Password 8 and the removal of the mini UI and "Seach" vs "Find" insanity is forcing me to remain on 7. At first, 8 seems like a great refresh ... then I used it. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

@notnotjake I think it might be worth holding your breath for a few more days :D Agilebits does seem to at least want to get it right. More so than some other major password manager dev's.

• peet1peet1
    Community Member

@AMonitorDarkly and @notnotjake .... Okay so I looked at the Quick Access UI (shift + CMD + space) more. It's not the same, but it's not necessarily worse. From what I see the Quick Access gives you access to any/all records and it's (confoundingly) easier to search than the main UI.

Admittedly there's no easy way to create records from QuickAccess, but what record types can't you find/access?

Community Member

@peet1 Its not that I can’t access things from Quick Access, it’s that I can’t do it nearly as quickly and easily as before. In 1P7, clicking Menu Bar icon immediately brought up a nice, easy to use miniature 1P interface.

With Quick Access, you now have to search for an item, with no option to just pick something from the favorites menu or your tags. Once you find your item, if it’s something you don’t want to just open in a browser, you have to click the menu next to the item. Even that doesn’t bring up the full item, just the username and password. If you want to see something else on the item, you have to click Open In New Window, which oddly transforms the UI into a pop window that you can’t go back from, only close out and start over. Or you can click to open the item in the full 1P app, completely defeating the purpose of everything you’ve just done.

This is a significant step backwards. The previous Mini UI was a literal mini version of the app that made it simple to quickly view an entire item with minimal effort.

Also, as you mentioned you can’t create or edit items in Quick Access as you could with Mini. Quick Access is just convoluted and clunky. The more I try to use it, the more annoyed and baffled I get.

• peet1peet1
    Community Member

@AMonitorDarkly Ahhh ... 100% with you. If I lived in the Mini interface as you describe, I'd be just as frustrated as you are!

I think @notnotjake might be right here on not holding our collective breath. It seems as though AgileBits has dropped Mini in favor of Quick Access. I truly cannot imagine a way that they could possibly support the same Mini experience in QuickAccess. Mini would have to exist along side Quick Access ... which from an end user perspective doesn't seem as though it would be out of the question.

Considering the UI for Mini in 1Password 8 is already built, i.e. the plugin UI in Safari, it shouldn't be a leap to embed that into the Menu Bar icon. You'd think it would have been a no-brainer.

I'm deeply confounded that they converted "Search" to "Find" and created a less than useful "Search" function. (https://1password.community/discussion/130752/fix-v-8-search-results)

• Jack.P_1PJack.P_1P

Team Member

Hi folks,

Thanks for your feedback on this. While I can't promise anything, I'll share your thoughts with the team.

Jack

Community Member

@Jack.P_1P Thank you. I’ll add too that this isn’t just me talking. I’ve seen at least a dozen others making the same complaint in other threads.

• Jack.P_1PJack.P_1P

Team Member

You're very welcome.

Jack

• OxonOxon
    Community Member

Also, I miss the ability to pin the mini window.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file