Can't set default vault for newly created items

Options
garyc23
garyc23
Community Member

In 1Password 7, there's a setting that designates which vault to use as default for newly created items. In 1Password 8, I do not see such a setting. All new items default to my Personal vault, which I never use.

Is there a way to change that default vault setting?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• seanism
    seanism
    Community Member
    Options

+1

I don't see a way to set the default vault either. It keeps trying to save to my personal vault on my work computer.

• Hi @garyc23, apologies for not catching this until @seanism bumped it.

We're actively tracking feedback for the option to set a default vault in the 1Password 8 desktop apps and I've added votes on behalf of both of you.

In the meantime, it is possible to set a default vault for items created with the 1Password browser extension:

I recognize the value in having this functionality across all our platforms though and would love to see it myself. Thanks for letting us know it's important to you. 👍🏻

ref: IDEA-I-292

• asle
    asle
    Community Member
    Options

I second this. Get this back in the app.

• I'll pass this along. Thanks for letting us know it helps your workflow.

• metta
    metta
    Community Member
    Options

Having new items saved to the shared vault by default is so counter intuitive for a product that's supposed to keep your information secure.
    @andrew.l_1P Thanks for the workaround, though it seems like users are having to do this a lot to get something close to v7

• Happy to help, @metta! I've also added your feedback to our internal tracker regarding default vaults in the app itself. To clarify, the current behaviour is that new items will default to the current vault you've selected and will otherwise default to your Private vault.

Let me know if you have any questions. 👍🏻

ref: IDEA-I-292

• 1passpudinski
    1passpudinski
    Community Member
    Options

Please add this feature back. As others have noted, for those of us wth Family accounts, it's vital to have this feature back for non-techie users that need to save to a shared vault, and not have to change it from Private every time.

• I agree, @1passpudinski, thanks for highlighting this use case!

• Hi folks,

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, default vaults for saving new items were added to the latest production release! 🎉

You can check out what other changes were made in the release notes: 1Password for Mac Releases

And if you need any assistance updating, I recommend this support article: How to keep 1Password up to date

Let us know if you have any questions or feedback. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.