v8 export for import in KeePassXC or something similar using local vaults

Options
basurerito
basurerito
Community Member

You changed quite a few things in version 8, well, quite a lot.

That made me thinking about testing some other pw manager software.
But, uuh, not that easy to go from 1pw v8 to another software with somewhat complete data ..

You have dropped 1pif export in favor of 1pux, which can hardly be imported into other software like strongbox or KeepassXC yet.
The CSV export seems to be incomplete? No files export, no software licenses and I do not find any "custom fields" I created in some records?

So what is the recommended way to export my data completely (okay, without files, but with custom fields) to a standard format which can be read by other manufacturers software? .. Did I miss something here?
I know that Bitwarden can already read 1pux, bit that's not true for most other software out there (working with local vaults).

This is a bit frustrating ..

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• basurerito
    basurerito
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I installed v7 and exported as 1pif .. not complete, but better than any csv option. Again, this is just for testing .. very suboptimal.
    Please close this discussion, as there is no (current) technical solution which I would consider "complete" ..

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @basurerito! πŸ‘‹

I'm sorry to hear that you're thinking of moving to another password manager, are there any specific issues that you ran into with 1Password 8? I would be happy to help you resolve those issues or file feedback with our developers on your behalf.

As you mentioned, 1Password 8 for Mac includes two different export options:

1. Export to CSV: The CSV format supports a limited set of fields and will only export Login and Password items.
    2. Export to 1PUX: The 1PUX format is a complete export of your 1Password data and even includes file attachments.

The CSV format is limited which is why we created 1PUX to allow a user to take all of their 1Password data with them if they ever decide to leave 1Password. An export that allows you to takeout all of your 1Password data was one of our most requested features and we're very happy to finally offer that ability with 1PUX exports in 1Password 8. You can read more about the 1PUX format and why we created it here: About the 1Password Unencrypted Export format

I'm afraid that it's up to other password managers to build support into their apps to import 1PUX files, this isn't something that we can control. When we introduced 1PIF years ago other password managers built support for that filetype and we expect the same to happen with 1PUX files. If you do need to export to a 1PIF file (which doesn't contain all of the data that a 1PUX export does) then you can indeed install 1Password 7 and perform the export that way.

Let me know if you have any questions. πŸ™‚

• basurerito
    basurerito
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P - seems that 1pif export with version 7 is a workaround. It seems to export all I need.
    Apart from the probably "cleaner" file(s) format, what is the difference between 1pif and 1pux, in terms of "data completeness"?

1password is a nice and complete solution for management of passwords and other needs-to-be-secured stuff .. but the design decisions taken with the update from v7 to v8 have clearly shown that - at least for me - it is not the right way to go. All in cloud, no local vaults. If you consider increasing the subscription price, then I have to swallow it. That is not only an issue with 1password, but for all other "complete (proprietary) systems" as well.

Instead, using a common format like kbdx with a app/software/UI that I like or which suites my needs is a more convenient and nicer solution for me (personally).

That is my conclusion after almost two years experience with 1password on Linux, MacOS and all common web browsers.

Nevertheless it is a nice and very reliable and working solution for folks not willing to put much effort in keeping data in sync between all necessary devices.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@basurerito

Thank you for the reply. 1Password.com memberships are the future of 1Password and you can read some of our founder Dave's thoughts here: What is the future of local/standalone vaults? β€” 1Password Support Community

In short: 1Password accounts are more secure, more functional, and easier to use than the older standalone vault format.

If you consider increasing the subscription price, then I have to swallow it. That is not only an issue with 1password, but for all other "complete (proprietary) systems" as well.

That is indeed a risk with any service. However, I believe that we've never increased the price of the subscription (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) so we have a pretty good track record of not randomly increasing prices. Of course, I can't make the promise that the price will never be increased since I don't know what the future will hold.

The beauty of 1Password's ability to export your data is that you can leave anytime you wish with all of your data. You're never locked in and forced to continue using 1Password. We only want you to continue using 1Password if you believe that it's the best tool for your workflow and your life.

Apart from the probably "cleaner" file(s) format, what is the difference between 1pif and 1pux, in terms of "data completeness"?

Once big difference is that 1PIF didn't include Document items. 1PUX is a lossless export format whereas 1PIF was not.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 😊

• basurerito
    basurerito
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P -- hmm, after extensively testing alternative solutions (which essentially use the KDBX format) like Strongbox, KeePassium and KeePassXC on multiple devices/systems - macOS, Linux, Windows, iOS - I have to confess that I'm back on board ... 😊

• Dave_1P
    Options

@basurerito

I'm thrilled to hear that you're sticking with 1Password, we're very happy to have you with us. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.