A certificate was explicitly revoked by its issuer [1Password 8.7.2 update is now available]

Options
andokai
andokai
Community Member
edited June 2022 in Windows

Hi,

So I seem to be having a bunch of issues with the 1Password desktop app on my Windows 11 machine.

• The browser apps are stuck with the loading spinner
  • Switching it to the beta channel tells me there's an update but it fails to update
  • Attempting to connect the CLI returns the error [ERROR] 2022/06/14 08:35:01 connecting to desktop app: A certificate was explicitly revoked by its issuer.

I assume the error that the CLI spits out is the reason why the other two are failing.

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: 2.3.5
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• Schluessel
    Schluessel
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

I'm not sure if this is related. Today i chose to reinstall 1password for Windows 10 because the browser extension would no longer open the app on my pc. However i can't install the app. Double clicking does nothing, and trying to run it as admin returns "An administrator has blocked you from running this". I googled and found out this often has to do with certificate problems.

• jeffgager
    jeffgager
    Community Member
    Options

We have exactly the same problem. The certificate has been revoked, so AppLocker is now blocking the 1Password Windows application. I would really appreciate a swift response to this problem. Having spent a lot of time and effort persuading people to use 1Password, having it suddenly lockup all their complex passwords is not helpful. It has stopped the organisation working completely. Obviously this is a very high profile problem, and if it isn't resolved quickly I am likely to lose my 1Password users.

• Hi @andokai, @Schluessel, & @jeffgager,

We've recently identified an issue with our signing certificate, that is affecting 1Password 7 and 8 for Windows, resulting in some customers having trouble with using or installing 1Password as well as the browser integration. We're working on getting this resolved, and appreciate your patience. In the meantime, please know that this is not a security issue and 1Password is safe to use.

If you're having trouble with 1Password, the best workaround is to use 1Password in your browser without integrating with 1Password for Windows: right-click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, choose Settings, and turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" option.

• jeffgager
    jeffgager
    Community Member
    Options

What's the ETA on a fix Joshua? The timing is terrible, I have been trying to encourage more people to use 1Password and now it's not working. The work around doesn't fix the poor user experience.

• Hi @jeffgager, I understand the frustration. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing exactly when it will be resolved, but I can assure you our devs are working on it as we speak and we'll roll out a fix as soon as possible. Thanks so much for your patience. 💙

• vidriduch
    vidriduch
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. I have just updated to version 8 today (15/06/2022). This is on Windows 10, 1p version 8.7.1 op version 2.4.1

• MikeT
    Options

Hi folks,

The 1Password 8.7.2 update is now available with the new certificate.

If you download the installer directly from our website, there may be a Windows SmartScreen warning because we're using a new certificate that hasn't been seen in public before, it is safe to allow the file to go through.

We do apologize for the delay, there was a few extensive validation processes we had to go through with our certificate vendors in order to get a new certificate and it couldn't be done quickly. We've received the new certificate last night and immediately released a new nightly build with it to ensure it works with our users. This morning, we have shipped the stable 1Password 8.7.2 update with the updated certificate.

We've also shipped the beta update as well now and working on releasing the 1Password 7 for Windows update as soon as possible.

We are looking into how we can prevent this from happening again and to locate a better/speedy way to get a new certificate issued.

• andokai
    andokai
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks guys!

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks for being patient with us!

• jeffgager
    jeffgager
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for fixing this so promptly.

I had my weekly update with the CEO yesterday, and I think it is fair to say that my efforts to encourage wider uptake of 1Password across the organisation have been set back a long way.

I can't risk another bad certificate being pushed out to my users, so I am not going to encourage the use of the 1Password Windows app in future. We will stick to using the browser plugin from now on.

This discussion has been closed.