Print Individual 1P Record

Options
bwofford
bwofford
Community Member

Has printing records been entirely removed? I have been a faithful user of 1Password for a decade or more. Generally, incremental version updates have been improvements but not without some bumps in the road. Changing the way you handle record attachments and then changing it back again is just one example of a significant interruption to my work flow.
Am I now discovering something I've taken for granted all this time has simply been removed? I cannot print records, which is again a vital part of my workflow.
I know the employees who monitor and respond to this online community do their best to represent the company. What I resent, however, is that it seems decisions are made by those who are not accountable to the users. I'm guessing that someone has apparently decided that printing is inconsistent with design intent or philosophy. I beg to differ, and I don't agree that this choice should be taken away.

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: 2.3.5
OS Version: 12.4

Comments

• bwofford
    bwofford
    Community Member
    Options

As an addendum, I have just noticed another loss of functionality. It used to be that items within a section could be rearranged using the drag and drop interface common in many Mac applications. I'm now seeing this is no longer possible.

It definitely appears the record interface is drifting from the flexibility it once had. Forgive my cynicism but I suppose it's unrealistic to expect anything beyond the customary promise to share my concern with "developers."

I don't want to contemplate switching to another password manager, particularly because I've long been comfortable entrusting my most guarded information with this Canadian company, largely based on the culture I believe to exist. However, I am growing concerned that perhaps there has been churn among the coders because the UI is decidedly different, which could reflect abandonment of chunks of code no longer thought to be important. Or at least using customer pain threshold to gauge the importance of certain functionality. It would be so refreshing to have an honest reply beyond the predictable scripted statements.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @bwofford! 👋

1Password 8 is a complete rewrite and redesign of 1Password so that we could build the next generation of 1Password apps using the best modern design and security practices currently available. There are a few features that we really want to see in 1Password 8 that haven't made it yet. I'm hoping that the ability to reorder sections will be added soon and I've added your vote to the feature request that we have open. You can also read a statement about the feature from our founder here.

Has printing records been entirely removed?

1Password 8 currently doesn't have the ability to print. I don't recommend exporting or printing your passwords since that will remove them from the secure and encrypted environment of 1Password. Any exported or printed copy of your passwords will be in plain text and so will be readable by anyone who views it.

In addition to this if you change any of your passwords in the future the exported or printed copy will become outdated. Rather than exporting and printing your items then might be a better way to accomplish your goal. Let me know why you're trying to print your items and I would be happy to help.

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

ref: IDEA-I-372

• bwofford
    bwofford
    Community Member
    Options

A complete rewrite and redesign may well have been warranted; I am not qualified to comment on that. I am, however, able to recognize vague explanations when I see them such as "using the best modern design and security practices currently available." Even a few specifics would give your effort more credibility. As to losing the reordering capability, I did follow the link you offered, and I was somewhat pleased to see Dave Teare's acknowledgement that the "simple is better" logic was flawed. That's an example of the honesty I referenced in my initial post.

On the other hand, I am outraged by your unsolicited lecture, characterized as a recommendation to avoid printing passwords. That might be reasonable advice to a newbie but for someone with more than 1,000 records who's been using the product for multiple decades, I think I'm a better judge than you to decide when or if printing a record will compromise any security.

Additionally, this looks like the predictable, scripted response that I would call a smokescreen. In other words, a better guess might be that dropping the printing function was consistent with Dave Teare's desire for a simplified design. So, instead of just admitting that, it appears your tactic was to deflect with a lecture.

I make extensive use of 1Password as a secure database, recording personal details ranging from passports and COVID vaccinations to serial numbers on networking apparatus. Many of my records have nothing to do with login credentials. Teare needs to rally the troops to revisit a much wider view of how loyal and established customers use the product. It's hard to imagine a simpler way to print an individual record than the basic function you have removed in this version. I'm not interested in some makeshift workaround that impacts my workflow. Suffice it to say, I am highly disappointed.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@bwofford

I want to apologize if my reply sounded vague or lecturing, that was not my intention. It's always tough to know how much to include in a response and I want to be mindful of the fact that it's not only you, a very experienced 1Password user who has been with us for a decade, who will be reading my responses but other less experienced users as well. That being said, it sounds like I missed the mark and I'm sorry.

Since 1Password 8 is a complete re-write it might be more accurate to say that printing hasn't yet made it to the new app rather than saying that we dropped the feature. I know that our developers are discussing the printing feature internally and we have a work item open to investigate. One of the reasons why I wanted to know how you used printing in the past was to add your thoughts to that internal conversation so that we can better understand how printing would be useful for you and to see if there's a way that we can better meet your needs. For example, some users used the "Print to PDF" function to backup their data in an encrypted PDF and, once we understood this workflow, we started to plan out the new encrypted 1PEX export for those users so that, in the future, they'll have a native way to backup an encrypted copy of their data without relying on PDFs.

While I can't promise anything, I've added your comments to the internal work item for printing in 1Password 8 so that our developers know that you'd like to see printing return as a feature. 🙂

I am, however, able to recognize vague explanations when I see them such as "using the best modern design and security practices currently available." Even a few specifics would give your effort more credibility.

If you're interested, both our founder Dave and our VP of Engineering both published articles that dig deeper into 1Password 8 from a technical standpoint. You can find those articles here (the second article is aimed towards Linux but, since 1Password 8 has a common core on all platforms, it is relevant to 1Password 8 for Mac as well):

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#9570

• ErlicTheMad
    ErlicTheMad
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

I would like to chime in on this discussion as it affects a major part of my disaster recovery procedure. The inability to print copies of my records causes major issues regarding the ability to have a hard copy of my secure tokens available in the event of a disaster.

In my case, I regularly would print a copy of a vault and save it in a sealed envelope stored in a hardened secure location in the event of a disaster. I also would print out user cards for my new users after I set them up to make sure they have the information needed to use their accounts. With the new 1Password 8, this is gone. Offering the ability of a person being able to import a card or cards using an online version is not an effective solution.

I too have been a long-time user since version 2 of the product. I would hate to have to consider moving to a competitor over simple things that it should be able to accomplish.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ErlicTheMad

Thanks for taking the time to share this concern with us, and for your long-time use of the product. I'd like to understand this use case a bit better.

The inability to print copies of my records causes major issues regarding the ability to have a hard copy of my secure tokens available in the event of a disaster.

In what way would these hard copies be practical? Are you going to re-type all of the information from physical printed copies? I certainly wouldn't be. I use a ton of 50-character passwords, and have all sorts of other information saved in 1Password as well. Re-typing it all from a paper copy is a non-starter. Ain't gonna happen. 😂

Would a digital backup not be a more practical solution?

I also would print out user cards for my new users after I set them up to make sure they have the information needed to use their accounts. With the new 1Password 8, this is gone.

What sort of information would these cards contain? Does the Emergency Kit address this need?

I'll share your thoughts with our decision makers either way, but I have to admit I personally have a hard time advocating for printing to make a return to 1Password. I'm hoping one of us can change the others mind. 😃

Ben

• ErlicTheMad
    ErlicTheMad
    Community Member
    Options

There are two parts to this answer.

First, is the long-term archive mentioned. The purpose of the hard copy of to have a physical printed record than can be accessed in the event of an emergency or disaster. Not everybody in the offices that I serve has 1Password nor will they likely ever do so. Additionally, if I am unavailable (Hit by a bus scenario with my computer) there would be no other way to get to those secrets or secured items than to log into the required resources.

Since your business licensing options do not allow for purchase order numbers for small accounts I will not be able to bring 1Password to the office. Most users will use OKTA to handle their account secrets for authentication purposes. I use a 1Password personal account to hold and store my office secrets.

If a person needs to get into something and I am not available they would have no way to access the needed resource. You cannot assume that internet access or access to a device running 1Password with the ability to log into it. A scenario of the following. The building was hit by a meteor disaster scenario, Tornado, earthquake, etc.

As for the individual user card. This contains more information than just what is in the emergency kit. As I said most of my users do not use 1Password. They will likely never use 1Password. So an emergency kit is completely useless to them. Many of my users struggle to understand how to use two passwords for the services they need to access. Expecting them to understand how to use these recovery tools is not going to happen.

This discussion has been closed.