Understanding the concept of e-mail category

Options
MaRob
MaRob
Community Member

Hi, I am a little bit confused about the concept with e-mails in 1Password.
There is a seperate category of e-mail items.
There you can enter all the e-mail relaitet stuff like servernames, ...

I have a payed web account where I also have different e-mails set up.
E..g support@mydomain.com, myname@mydomain,com, ...

For all this e-mail adreses i have different web-mail logins.
Web adress is always webmail.wbhostername.com and the credentials for log in are e-mail adress and password.

Now the problem:
I put all that information togeter in different e-mail category items.
When I now want to log in an account I search for example for "support@ " and that item is showen.
I don't know why, but when I select it with ENTER, instead of opening webmail.wbhostername.com and filling the fields name and password, 1Password opens that item in a seperat window. Now I have to search / scroll to the weblink entry, click that, ... .

That makes no sens to me - or is my thinking wrong?

Yes, I could also make an LogIn item for that e-Mails only having the name, the e-mail adress and the password.
But this makkes no sens to me. Having two different items, maintaining the password in two different items, ... .

Can someone bring up some light in my head, how to use that e-mail items with sens and efficence use, please.

THX, Marco

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hey @MaRob !

I could also make an LogIn item for that e-Mails only having the name, the e-mail adress and the password.

That's what I do.

I have a login entry with username, password, and website. And if I have more than one logins for an e-mail provider, I have more than one login entries.

Also, I have an e-mail entry with all the other stuff for my e-mail accounts like IMAP and SMTP which I need when adding this e-mail account into an e-mail app. Here, I also have more than one entries if I have more accounts from an e-mail provider.

Maybe I'm also using these entries wrong or in an inefficiency way…? But the problem is, that entries from the category "e-mail" are not suggested when trying to log into webmail accounts. Therefore, you need to have a matching login entry.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@MaRob

The Email category is used for storing credentials and email server information used to configure an email client (e.g. Outlook, macOS Mail, Thunderbird, etc.). It is not used for storing credentials for web-based email logins. For that, as @DenalB says, use a Login.

Think of 1Password categories as basic templates to suit a given purpose. Most of them are just data holders, per-configured with fields that were meaningful when the template was designed (and still may be applicable today). And so you can chose the one that meets your needs.

But a few are special - Login, Identity, Credit Card. These are used to auto-fill web pages with the data stored in the respective record. Since your usage of mail is via the web, a Login is the right category.

• Hi @MaRob:

I don't think I could have said it much better than @DenalB and @MrC have (thanks for the assist both of you! 😎). Since you're signing into a website for your email, as MrC mentioned, the Login item type would be the best bet here. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.