Unable to auto-fill generated passwords

Options
2»

Comments

• kataract
    kataract
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this same issue. I just switched from LastPass. Whenever I try to click on the suggested password, nothing happens. When I go to copy the password from the password generator in the extension, it says "Unable to save generated password." I'm on MacOS and Firefox. Travel Mode is off. My browser and the extension are all up to date.

• J4rm4n
    J4rm4n
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

Not sure if there is a newer thread on this, but I have just found this one and I would like to point out that 1P8 should clearly inform the user that autofill is not available when Travel Mode is on (btw a very questionable decision). There is no way a broken suggestion should be deemed as acceptable behavior and I am a bit surprised a mere tooltip hasn't been added since the issue was brought up. Cheers.

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kataract Sorry for the delayed response, if you're still experiencing this issue could you try the following steps and see if it helps for you?

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar and click 'Settings'.
    2. Scroll down to "Integrate with 1Password app" at the end of General section and toggle it off.
    3. Scroll down to "Accounts & vaults".
    4. Sign out of your account and Sign in again.
    5. Fully close the web browser.
    6. Right click the 1Password icon in your macOS menu bar (top right near the clock), and select 'Quit'.
    7. Re-open and unlock the 1Password app.
    8. Then go ahead and re-open the web browser and turn on the "Integrate with 1Password app" option again.

@J4rm4n - I can understand where you're coming from, and apologize for any inconvenience. I'll be happy to pass your insight forward to the team as we continually make improvements. We appreciate your continued support 🙂

• usererror1
    usererror1
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hi @paul.m_1p I followed your instructions when I was having this problem and it seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@usererror1 Glad things are working again!

• jhbrown94
    jhbrown94
    Community Member
    Options

I was having the same problem. @paul.m_1p your solution resolved the problem for me. That said, this bug is a pretty major user experience fail. Is there a fix in the works?

• Hey @jhbrown94,

I'm glad you were able to get things back on track and yes, our team are working on a fix.

I'm sorry for the disruption!

ref: dev/core/core#17386

• Bohemian
    Bohemian
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Same problem here: Chrome, Windows 10 and "Unable to save generated password".

Have followed the whole detailed process outlined by paul.m_1p above and the "fix" does not stick for very long. Travel mode is off.

So, back to pasting 1password generated passwords from one UI into notepad and then manually pasting them back into a different 1password UI. After entering my very long master password, of course. (I'm beginning to understand the joke circulating about why it's called 1password- I will be typing that one long password many, many times.)

I just migrated over from LastPass last month and am seriously regretting that I actually paid for this product. A password manager that can't reliably generate and save passwords in a common browser is about one half of an MVP to me. While the product may be secure, the UX is simply not ready for prime time.

Oh. By the way, this is not an "making an improvement". It's known as "fixing a bug".

It's a really simple use case: "As a user, while using Chrome on Windows, I want to be able to generate a new secure password and save it."

Others apparently can do it. If you are simply understaffed or don't have the technical capabilities, please let me know. I can always spin up a Docker container with Bitwarden and migrate all of my family over to another system. Right now it would be a lot less ongoing effort for me.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bohemian we are very sorry that you've encountered this issue. It is indeed a bug, and our developers are actively investigating in order to find a permanent fix for it. They have recently released an update, which addresses one of the possible causes of this bug, in the beta version of the extension. Did you want to try the beta version of the extension to see if things have improved?

Here's how to get the beta extension: 1Password beta

Please test things out with the beta extension if you install it. Let us know how that goes.

• Bohemian
    Bohemian
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Joy_1P - I will give it a try.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bohemian great, please keep us up to date on how things go.

• sberk
    sberk
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to resolve this problem in Edge on MacOS by enabling "Allow access to file URL's" on the extension options

• Hey @sberk,

Thank you for the update. That's right, 1Password requires access to be able to save and fill on a page.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.