Entering caret character in 1Password 8 for Mac

Options
Styrke
Styrke
Community Member

Any text field macOS except 1Password's master password field allows me to enter the standalone caret character (^) by typing caret followed by a space.

On my Mac with danish keyboard layout I can generally type a caret character by pushing shift+"caret key" followed by space. It is also possible to use some letters instead of space to have them modified like ê, û, ô, â, and so on. When i push shift+"caret key" followed by space while typing in my master password in 1Password 8 for Mac, I instead get a space character (" ") as if I had only pushed the space key.

This behaviour is surprising and confusing. Even if I type the password correctly, 1Password will reject the entered password because it contains a space where it should have the caret character.

Some experimentation reveals that this only appears to happen for me when the password is hidden (each character is represented as a dot) as I type it in. If I use the "Reveal Password" button so I can see the characters as I enter them, then entering a caret works as expected.

I am quite sure that this is a new problem with 1Password 8. I don't recall ever having the same problem with 1Password 7.

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hi @Styrke:

Thanks for letting us know about this. This is something we're investigating, but we've found that different browsers and fields handle "dead keys" differently. In this case, our recommendation would be to change your account password so it's not using any characters that are typed using dead keys.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.