Emergency kits in the cloud. safe?

klepp0906
klepp0906
Community Member
edited June 2022 in Windows

i recently began to wonder if its safe to put a copy in the cloud or something using dropbox for example. god forbid there was a house fire or something of that nature. i imagine getting my family out would take over having the presence of mind, much less the time to grab something that has my 1password info.

then id be up shits creek in an even worse way. plus keeping a printed copy local does open you up to the remote possibility that if your home were to be robbed and the thieves had time to rummage through and see the value in that particular piece of paperwork youd be in a bad spot.

whats the consensus regarding storing stuff like this in dropbox? i know they had a breach some time ago but i dont know the specifics. I have icloud drive and onedrive as well. unsure if there would be a preference for one over the other or if it would be a bad idea period?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @klepp0906. Honestly, it's completely up to your discretion. You're correct that in the event of a house fire your Emergency Kit wouldn't be the first thing you'd run for!

You could take a photo of it to store on your phone, or taking it a step further, email that photo to someone you trust.

Even if someone were to access your Emergency Kit in the cloud, they would still need your password to access your account.

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

Yea I keep the password on the kit in case I were to keel over my family could get into my accounts lol.

The picture of is an interesting idea though.

• Hello again, @Klepp0906,

As Laura mentioned, storing your Emergency Kit in a place where feel safe and yet accessible to family as needed, is at your discretion. I did want to point you in the direction of a recent blog post that discusses this very topic, and where you'll find some additional ideas for the storage of your Emergency Kit:

Where to Store Your 1Password Emergency Kit

I hope you find this helpful!

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

thank you, ill give it a read. laura's post has given me some more to think about specifically regarding keeping the password and the secret key together is the best idea.

• You're welcome! 😀

This discussion has been closed.