Recently installed 1Password app using over 30+ % of my CPU cycles

Options
lazyj
lazyj
Community Member

I've got a Windows 10 fully updated core i5-1135G7 @ 2.4 GHz with 16 GB of RAM. I had to re-install 1Password Windows application this week, and noted I am now on the 1Password for Windows 8.7.2 (80702002 Production Channel). Since the reinstall I see 1Password.exe spawning 5 processes and consistently taking over 30% of my CPU despite being idle and saying no updates are required. Only one process is consuming resources, and right now its got over 50 threads while the others are sub-20. This was not the case on the older version I had installed on this laptop before - not sure which one that was, but the interface was significantly different. I'm happy to provide more technical data, but I need this app to run lighter or at least be more transparent about why it needs so much processing time. Right now I'm launching it to get creds and then killing it (at the process level) to get my resources back. Not ideal.

1Password Version: 8.7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10 Enterprise 10.0.19044
Referrer: forum-search:high cpu usage

Comments

• Hi @lazyj, thanks for your message and report of this high CPU usage. I'm sorry for any troubles this has caused since the update to 8.7.2.

We're aware of a few other customers who are also reporting similar troubles. Your details have now been added to the issues we're tracking with our dev team.

In the meantime, can you please provide some additional details via email to support+windows@1Password.com to help with the investigation, but ask that you do not post these details in the forums.

Can you also include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. Thank you!

ref: dev/core/core#15898

• lazyj
    lazyj
    Community Member
    Options

I'll send along some diagnostics to the support email mentioned. In case anyone is wondering about browsers, I generally have two open (Edge and Chrome) but did see the behavior when I closed them completely (including any other app like Teams which might be using Chromium) and even after restarting 1Password app before sign-in.

• ag_mike_d
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hello again @lazyj, as a follow up from the dev team, are you seeing this issue while your browser(s) are closed? Can you try closing your browser(s) and when launching 1Password 8 is there a spike immediately on start up on the lock screen or after unlocking the app.

Also, are you running any specific antivirus/antimalware solutions aside from Microsoft Defender?

Thanks!

• lazyj
    lazyj
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, both when browsers are running and when no browsers running, same behavior which is not a spike but sustained 30+ % of my CPU consumed by 1Password.exe and this is from launch, even before unlocking the app. Specific antivirus is Webroot but there are other security products as well. I had 1Password running exhibiting the behavior with browsers running, closed them, still observed behavior, made sure no browser or Chromium processes running, ended 1Password and noted CPU returned to nominal levels. Without opening browsers re-launched 1Password app and immediately saw CPU jump even before unlocking. It has remained elevated for over an hour. I've got the diagnostics sent to support now.

• ag_mike_d
    edited June 2022
    Options

Thanks for the updates here and sending along the email, @lazyj - much appreciated! We'll be in touch when there's more to share.

ref: XFK-43935-615

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @lazyj,

Can you expand on why you had to reinstall 1Password earlier this week? Just wondering if it had anything to do with what's happening now.

We haven't been able to reproduce this on any of our machines and we don't have many users reporting this.

Can you reboot into safe mode with networking and confirm it shows the same sustained CPU usage issue there? This can help to rule out any external interference.

This discussion has been closed.