Face Unlock naming issue

Options
mahuaurelius
mahuaurelius
Community Member
edited June 2022 in Android

S22 but relevant for any (most) Android phones as Face ID is not as prominent as fingerprint unlocking. Might want to rename Face Unlock to something else like Biometric Unlock.

It's confusing.

Comments

• Hello @mahuaurelius, thanks for joining us on the forum!

Would this be on the 1Password 8 for Android beta? If so, currently when face unlock is available on a device, the wording in 1Password 8 will default to face unlock (instead of biometric or finger print unlock) even if face unlock is not available with 1Password or active on your device. If that's the case, tapping face unlock in Settings > Security will allow you to set up fingerprint unlock with 1Password. We're looking in to solutions to help make this more clear for 1Password users.

• mahuaurelius
    mahuaurelius
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds good, and yes on beta. No problem for me of course, but yeah, it is not correct. Also, when auto-filling, it asks for "Unlock with face" with is both incorrect and poor grammatically as well, so hopefully you can tweak that!

For reference, I have PIN and FINGERPRINT set up, and Android face unlock is unreliable and notoriously insecure (photos unlock it) so I would highly advise not using that as the default wording even if there is no option to have it be dynamic.

• Hi @mahuaurelius thanks for confirming that. I agree the biometric unlock setting can be a bit confusing at the moment even if functionally, it works as expected. While I don't have a timeline, it's definitely something we're working on.

As to your second point, 1Password for Android is not unlockable with facial biometry on most Android devices for the reason you mentioned. We set high requirements including Google's native Biometric framework as well as the use of strong encryption. Thanks again for your feedback on this, let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

This discussion has been closed.