New items are attributed to wrong categories

Options
eelliott
eelliott
Community Member

When using desktop app, I go to category of Passwords. I select New Item. I fill in username and password. I save the entry. I look in "'Passwords" - no new item. After further testing, I find that ANY new item is added to Logins, no matter which Category I choose to add the entry inside. I cannot add new items to any Category other than Logins?????????

Also, the extension is not recognizing most fill-ins. Not even the 1Password forum, which has always worked in the past.

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: 2.3.5
OS Version: Windows11 Pro x64
Browser:_ Firefox
Referrer: forum-search:new item attributed to wrong cagtegory

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @eelliott !

I'm using 1Password 8.8.0-165 beta for Windows.

Just tried to create a new Secure Note. I selected "Secure Note" in the New Item window and wrote some text. After saving the Secure Note, it was placed in the matching category.

Now I tried creating a new "Password" entry. I selected "Password" and put a username and a password into the entry. After saving this newly created entry, a "Login" entry has been created.

Again I tried to create a "Password" entry, and now I only put a password into the entry. Now a "Password" entry was created.

So, I think when putting a username and a password into a new "Password" entry, it will be created as a "Login" entry. Using a password only will create a "Password" entry. This seems to make sense, because a "Password" entry should only consist of a password and a "Login" entry consists of a username and a password.

Is that happen in your case, too?

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member
    Options

I’ll try that soon. If it works as you set, I see the logic.., BUT the newer version must have changed either the logic or the UI is bad:

I have a number of old entries in Password category that have both a username and a password (created previously in earlier version). Since even in the older version I was presented with a username field I just filled it in with a generic entry.

I can see the logic of current use case (assuming mine works the way yours does), but then the user should not be presented with a username field if creating a new entry in a Password category…

• Hello @eelliott! Thanks for your messages,

It sounds like you are first selecting a Category in the middle pane of 1Password 8 as a filter for different category types. As @DenalB mentioned (thanks for the assist here), item creation will be based on the type of item selected after selecting + New Item (Ctrl + N). The exception here as mentioned, is with the addition of both a username and password to a Password item, which then creates a Login item.

Moving forward, I'd suggest if you'd like to save a Password item, only complete the password field. Then later, if you'd like to convert this to a Login item, completing the username field will move that item to the Login category.

I have a number of old entries in Password category that have both a username and a password (created previously in earlier version). Since even in the older version I was presented with a username field I just filled it in with a generic entry.

This behaviour sounds odd and I've been unable to reproduce it. I've had a look back at 1Password 7, and when creating a Password item, only a password field exists and the item saves in the Password category. Selecting Convert to Login adds a the username field, and moves the item to the Login category.

Also, the extension is not recognizing most fill-ins. Not even the 1Password forum, which has always worked in the past.

Sorry for the troubles here. Can you further explain your process for filling a login? For example are you searching 1Password in the browser for an item and using Open & Fill or are you first visiting a webpage and the inline menu is not appearing when selecting a field fill. Any further details you can provide will help us to understand where the problem exists. Thanks!

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for comments on Password, I will just enter the password. I tried now and if I don't put in a username it does save in Passwords as I want.

As to extension, I use Firefox (for example, also happens in Chrome but I use mostly Firefox - better security) to go to a website, then one of two things happens:
    1. no little 1P icon appears in the credentials field as I would expect (for sites where I have stored credentials in 1P); or
    2. the icon is there, but no suggestions show up, even though the site is listed in 1P.

• Hello again @eelliott, please excuse the delay in response over the Canada Day Holiday weekend. I'm happy to here that things are now working as expected when entering only password for items you'd like to save in the Password category.

Thanks for the update about Firefox and Chrome. It's odd that you are seeing this issue in both places and I'm wondering if you can confirm that the 1Password icon appear in the browser taskbar as locked and if so, is app integration currently disabled? If so you can check this setting by:
    1. Opening your browser, right-clicking the 1Password icon in the address bar, and choose Settings.
    1. Scroll to the General heading, and then enable Integrate with 1Password app as needed.

If this setting is already enabled, does disabling app integration and using the extension in a standalone manner cause the extension to work again as expected? Does reenabling this setting and rebooting your device then cause things to work again as before?

• Geezer
    Geezer
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Moving forward, I'd suggest if you'd like to save a Password item, only complete the password field. Then later, if you'd like to convert this to a Login item, completing the username field will move that item to the Login category.

I just stumbled onto this change for how to create a password (New Item) and it's not at all intuitive. But I haven't found any other comments on it so I guess it's just me. Wanted to mention it though. :)

• Hello @Geezer - Thanks for your message!

Generally speaking you'll likely want to create Login items to store user ID, password and URLs. However, users may wish to create a Password item that only contains a password field for special circumstances such as a door/gate code.

I hope this helps, but if you any additional questions or feedback, please let us know!

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hello @Geezer,
    When you click on the Password field, a window opens that allows you to easily create a password.

• Geezer
    Geezer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the responses. Sorry, my comment above did not provide enough information. First, when using this UI I found it confusing to see a username field when creating a password. And it wasn't clear to me that if I did enter something in the username field (maybe a comment) a Login item would be created. It's something you'll get used to fairly quickly so no big deal.

I'm wondering if a little help text would clarify things:

• Hello again @Geezer,

No worries, I'm sorry to hear you found this confusing, but we appreciate the suggestions.

In case you're interested in some additional information about other 1Password item categories, that guide describes details about all the item categories within 1Password.

Do let us know if you have any other concerns.

This discussion has been closed.