Use 1Password instead of Microsoft authenticator app for iPhone

Options
waldhaus1
waldhaus1
Community Member

Microsoft has its own auththenticator app. I find it confusing as it is named just like other authenticator apps so hard to tell which is which. I no I can use 1Password to provide the 2nd factor time sensitive code for many services. I don't see how to do that for Microsoft. I'm not sure it is possible with Microsoft.

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Does 1 Password support 2 factor authentication for Microsoft?

Comments

• waldhaus1
    waldhaus1
    Community Member
    Options

Does silence mean that 1Password can't be used as an authenticator for Microsoft?

• Dave_1P
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hello @waldhaus1! 👋

I'm sorry for the delay in responding, I hope that you had a nice weekend. Do I understand correctly that you'd like to use 1Password as the authenticator app for your Microsoft account? You can use 1Password as an authenticator app by opening the Security page for your Microsoft account and the following these steps:

1. Click "Add a new way to sign in or verify".
    2. Click "Use an app".
    3. Click "set up a different Authenticator app".
    4. Then use 1Password for Safari to save the one-time password on the page: https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/?ios#to-save-your-qr-code-in-the-apps
    5. Finish setting up the authenticator app on the Microsoft website.

I hope that helps. 🙂

• waldhaus1
    waldhaus1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks
    That is very helpful. There may be some theoretical advantage of free standing authenticator apps using 1 Password makes the process more useful.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@waldhaus1

I'm happy to help and to hear that you're finding 1Password useful. 😊

This discussion has been closed.