Show in Large Type is missing in Quick Access of 1Password 8

Options
samur
samur
Community Member

It's a shame, because quick access menu (that from Shift+Cmd+Space) works great for me, but for the bank account I need to use Show in Large Type, because this password has to be typed in a special way (chosen characters from password). Now for that password I have to:

• Open Quick Access
  • Go into details of chosen item (pressing right arrowkey)
  • Open item in new window
  • And then at least from this mini-widnow I can click on my password and choose Show in Large Type.

It'd be amazing if I could do it just from step two (details of chosen item).

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: 2.3.6
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Brave

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @samur! πŸ‘‹

You can shorten the list of steps a little bit by doing the following:

1. Open Quick Access.
    2. Search for an item and press Command-O to open the item in a new window.
    3. Click to the right of the password field and click Show in Large Type.

That being said, I can see how revealing a password in large type right from Quick Access would be useful. While I can't make any promises, I have filed a feature request on your behalf so that our product team can consider the feature for the future.

Thank you for the suggestion! 😊

ref: IDEA-I-1334

ref: dev/core/core#10409

• bzx
    bzx
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

@Dave_1P I have a related problem – I found "show in large type" option in the browser extension, but couldn't make it stay on top of everything (like it's possible with the steps you described).

The problem is, with the changes in 1P8, you have moved most of the functionality into the browser extensions, and I stopped using the 1P icon in the menu bar, as it seemed obsolete. Now, I actually still have to use that menu bar icon to access "large type", because its behaviour is different between the browser extension and the menu bar! That doesn't make any sense to me... Browser extension should allow opening an item in a new window (like it's possible with the quick access) – please do implement it.

I still preferred the old way of doing everything via 1Password Mini from the menu bar.

• Hi @bzx,

Thanks for pointing this out, I can see how the browser extension disappearing when focus is changed would impact your workflow, especially in the case of using large type. I've shared your feedback with the team. πŸ‘πŸ»

In the meantime, I would like to point out that Quick Access can be accessed via a keyboard shortcut as well, so you don't necessarily need to click the menu bar icon. This shortcut can also be changed within the 1Password app preferences.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, please let me know if I can help with anything else.

ref: IDEA-I-651

• bzx
    bzx
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hello @andrew.l_1P and thanks for your reply – I didn't get an email notification about it, that's why I'm responding so late..

I am aware that Quick Access can be accessed by the keyboard shortcut, and yes that is good – however, please note that in 1P8 there are more steps required to get the "proper" Large Type window that can stay on top of other windows.

In 1Password 8 (mixed input method required, some keyboard typing + 2 clicks):

• CMD + Shift + Space to get Quick Access
    • type to search for an entry (because Quick Access does not recognise the website I'm on)
    • CMD + O to open own window for that entry (Large Type can't be invoked from within the entry details within Quick Access!)
    • use mouse to select "Reveal in Large Type" from the dropdown (2 clicks needed)

In 1Password 7 (all by mouse, total 4 clicks):

• click 1PMini icon in the menu bar (the window pops up and is already showing me the entry for the website I need to provide password for)
    • select "Reveal in Large Type" from the dropdown (2 clicks needed)
    • click to move that window in order to have it pinned (sic!)

Even though in 1P7 it is all by mouse (and you still have to nudge that window), I much preferred that – 1P is already showing me the website I'm trying to log into, and I don't have to shuffle between using browser's extension and the standalone application's widget (meaning Quick Access)...

It would be great if you could at least allow for a keyboard shortcut to have the Large Type window pop up. I admit that I don't need Large Type that often but I still have few websites where I have to log in regularly, and you have significantly made it harder to use that feature for some reason.

• andrew.l_1P
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @bzx,

Thanks so much for this detailed feedback! We have some existing open feature requests to bring more options to Quick Access and to make it more accessible by a single input method, so I'll add you to those.

Regarding Quick Access not detecting the website you're using, could I confirm that the website entered on the related 1Password item is up to date? Would love to see if we can remove that searching step for you while we work on your other feedback. πŸ™‚

Edit: Forgot to add that it's possible to adjust your settings so that clicking the 1Password icon in your menu bar will open Quick Access:

If we can address the website detection behaviour you're noticing, this might be an option for a mouse-only operation.

ref: IDEA-I-1967
    ref: IDEA-I-969

• bzx
    bzx
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @andrew.l_1P,

Quick Access didn't detect the website as of the moment I was writing my post (and it behaved like so since I upgraded to 1P8) – but it is detecting it now. Maybe it was some kind of hiccup, glad it works now.

With that, the flow is still overcomplicated:

• CMD-shift-space - invoke QA
    • CMD+o to open details window for the entry
    • hit Tab multiple times to focus on the chevron, Enter to select, arrow down... nah. Use mouse to open menu and select the option.

I know that I can customise the setting for the menu bar icon, but you forgot that the new Macs came with the notch which often hide the menu bar icons, which is my case. I would have to take additional steps to have that icon always visible but I don't want to clutter my menu bar – because you already cluttered my browser toolbar my forcing me to have the 1P icon over there... In my opinion changes introduced by 1P8 are inconsistend and confusing, it worked well and felt much better in 1P7.

• Hi @bzx, glad to hear the good news about Quick Access!

I appreciate your feedback here, I can certainly understand preferring mouse or keyboard and how having to use both isn't ideal. I'll add these details about your device to our internal discussion as well, good insight.

If you have any questions or additional feedback in the future, you know where to find us. πŸ™‚

• bzx
    bzx
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @andrew.l_1P,

Looking forward to seeing the updates. As a first step, I would recommend improving the "Show in Large Type" dialog from the browser extension – it's currently completely useless.

Thank you

This discussion has been closed.