Trying to understand the changes made in iOS

Options
jkav
jkav
Community Member

Long-time 1PW user here.

I am trying to understand the differences between going into settings>>passwords>> and selecting 1PW as my primary auto fill, versus turning on the extension in Safari and allowing it that way. Do I want to have both auto-fill and the safari iOS extension turned on? Are there any pros and cons to using this? I do get a prompt in iOS after turning the extension on that I must grant each website permission to use this extension and that 1PW can view how often I visit a particular site.

Can someone help clarify which one is better? I kinda like the 1PW extension in Safari versus the old way of using auto fill. Will the extension eventually time out and require my MP, or can I use Face ID like the normal auto-fill option?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @jkav! πŸ‘‹

Thank you for the questions! 1Password for Safari features greatly improved filling capabilities and offers an experience that is similar to what you're already used to with 1Password for the browser on the desktop. Unlike Password AutoFill, it also allows you to fill credit cards, identities and use features like masked email addresses.

1Password for Safari on iOS functions in the same way that 1Password in the browser on desktop browsers does in regards to browser permissions. The 1Password extension requires access to your browsing history in order to know which website you're visiting so that it knows which login item to suggest. Without this permission 1Password for Safari wouldn't know which website's login information to suggest and fill into the browser. You can read more about browser permissions here: About 1Password browser permissions

Do I want to have both auto-fill and the safari iOS extension turned on?

I recommend that you keep both turned on since 1Password for Safari only works in Safari and you'll still need Password AutoFill to fill logins inside of your other iOS apps.

Will the extension eventually time out and require my MP, or can I use Face ID like the normal auto-fill option?

You can use Face ID to unlock 1Password for Safari. 1Password for Safari will stay unlocked so that you don't need to unlock it every time that you fill a login. You can change how often 1Password for Safari locks by following these steps: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-safari-ios/#lock-1password

Please let me know if that answers all of your questions. 😊

• jkav
    jkav
    Community Member
    Options

This answers all of my questions, thanks!!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@jkav

It's my pleasure. 😊

This discussion has been closed.