Confused with my master password and account password

Options
amityweb
amityweb
Community Member

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am confused now I signed up for 1password plan. I no longer have 1Password, I have 2Passwords.

Also, your security page says all my data is encrypted with my master password. But I can login to 1Password on the web with my account password, and all my data is there to be seen without using my master password.

On my computer I use my master password, but every 2 weeks I need to enter my account password to access it. This is terrible because my account password is stored in 1Password which I cant get because I need to enter it to get it. (in this case I have to get it from another device which is not locked).

So its all a bit confusing.

I am trying to find out the best way to give my wife my login in case I die. At first I just gave her my 1Password. But I realise I will need to give her my account password too, for the 2 week expiry. So I downloaded the emergency kit, which asks for my account password, but I notice it does not need my master password. She can just login with the account login info and see all my data. So she doesn't need the master password.

So why do I even need a master password???

Its all very confusing. If someone could explain why there are 2, why I even need my master one, and whats should I share with my wife in case I did, that would be great.

P.S. Are then plans to rename 1Password to 2Passwords? 😂

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: 12.4
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hi @amityweb:

We used to refer to the account password for a 1Password account (as well as the password to unlock local vaults) as the master password. The password you use to unlock 1Password 8 on your computer should be the password you use to unlock 1Password on any of your other devices. If you still have two separate passwords, it's likely you may have a standalone vault on a device that is still using your old password.

Assuming all of your information is available when you sign in to 1Password.com on your computer, your wife would need your Emergency Kit with your account password in case she needed to access the information in your 1Password account if something were to happen to you.

If you do have two separate passwords, taking a closer look at the setup of 1Password on your devices would be best, to ensure that all of your data has been successfully migrated to your 1Password account. Let me know!

Jack

• amityweb
    amityweb
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

So my account password is also my master password? On my computer my master password unlocks both my vaults. Both my vaults then sync with the web account and I can view those with my account password on the web. So if I had an old vault which the old master password unlocks, shouldn’t I not be able to see it on the web when I login with my account one?

Or do you mean my master password unlocks my local stored vault (nothing to with web account) and the fact it syncs means then I can see it on the web with my account password (so nothing to do with local password). And that means my data on the web can’t be encrypted with my master password. Is it encrypted with the account password? If so, how does it sync data between two different password encryptions?

Maybe I just change my account password to the same as my master one, and even if there are two separate ones used at least it’s the same password I remember and type in.

Thanks

• Hey @amityweb:

Your account password unlocks your 1Password account whether it's in the 1Password app or on 1Password.com. It was previously called the master password.

So if I had an old vault which the old master password unlocks, shouldn’t I not be able to see it on the web when I login with my account one?

This would depend on whether or not you've migrated that vault to your 1Password account or not. If you're not seeing items on 1Password.com that are on one of your devices in the 1Password app, the next step would be to take a closer look via email. If that's the case, send an email to support+forum@1password.com from the email account you've used to create your 1Password account, and include a link to this thread. After emailing in, you'll receive a support ID from BitBot that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to connect the dots and make sure your email has gotten to the right place.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.