To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Segregate account for work only

betweentheburyd1
betweentheburyd1
Community Member

Hi there,

I have a personal 1Password account that I use for everything. I just started a new job, and I'd like to have some way to segregate my work stuff from my personal stuff. Ideally, I'd like to log in on my work computer and have access to ONLY accounts needed for work. I do not want my personal accounts to be accessible from this account or computer. I do still want to be able to access this "separate" 1Password account from elsewhere.

What is the best way to achieve this? I was thinking perhaps upgrading to family and creating a new account to store them under, but I don't like the idea of having to switch accounts if I'm on my phone for example and need to access an account in my work 1Password account. I'd love to be able to just log into a specific vault if this is a possibility. I also thought about creating a standalone vault, but I'd like my vault to sync in the same way that my personal vault syncs.

I hope my question is clear, lol. Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @betweentheburyd1:

Great question. If storing your work passwords is just a you decision (i.e. not decided by your work), then upgrading to a family account might work, however it's only possible to be logged into the 1Password apps as one member of a family account at a time, so you'd have to switch between the two as needed. Another option would be to create a second individual account and only sign into that individual account on the devices you'd like to have your work passwords on.

Jack

• betweentheburyd1
    betweentheburyd1
    Community Member

Thanks for the response Jack, I appreciate it!

I've upgraded to Families, created a new account under my work account's email address, and shared a specific vault to that email that I created for work. When logging into this account, I only see the shared vault, but when searching under "All" in my main account I can see the ones created in the shared vault. I made the new work account a "guest", not entirely sure what that means, but the way it's set up is exactly what I was looking for, so we're golden!

Thanks!

• Hi @betweentheburyd1 thanks for following up and letting us know that worked for you! On behalf of Jack, you are very welcome!

To clarify about guests, with a 1Password Families account you can add family members and guests. Family members have their own private vault and access to the shared vault. While tethered to the family account, family member accounts work and feel similar to an individual account. Guest accounts do not have their own private vault and only have access to one specific vault set by the family organizer.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

This discussion has been closed.