Universal Autofill stopped working in most of my apps with 8.7.1 - explanation and request!

ianjukesianjukes
Community Member

Long time 1Password user here!

Universal Autofill — one of the hands-down best features of version 8 — stopped working for me in most of my apps due to this change in release 8.7.1: We now verify the code signature of apps before we allow filling using Universal Autofill.

I use over 20 site-specific browser apps (SSBs) created with WebCatalog. These were all working in 8.7.0, but are now all broken in the later releases of 1Password. I can't describe how hugely disappointing this is, first the joy of having the feature, and then having it taken away without providing an alternative. Universal Autofill really is "magic" and so, so useful. It's a "killer feature".

I have also tested other SSB applications and can confirm this change in 1Password has broken Universal Autofill in them as well. This includes both Coherence X and Unite from BZG.

I emailed the BZG and WebCatalog teams, and they confirmed that their apps are indeed signed, so it is something to do with how 1Password verifies the signatures.

I'm just leaving this here for the 1Password team to pick up, with the hope that an appropriate solution can be found (quickly) to restore the feature (even an option to turn off signature verification with a warning would be better), and for anyone else who went through hours of trying to configure accessibility options inside macOS and reinstalling applications only to discover that 1Password quietly removed the feature in an update and without much warning!!

Big love to all the 1Password team.

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ n/a

Comments

• ag_tommyag_tommy

Team Member
    edited July 13

@ianjukes

I see you have emailed us. In order to prevent duplication of efforts I am going to direct you back there. My colleague Will, will continue working with you.

ref: YFV-39155-758

• ianjukesianjukes
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

No problem - thanks for the quick reply! I had conversation with you guys via Twitter, but don't remember emailing!? Must be old age. 😆 Apologies. I also wanted to leave this here for other users that might be having the same experience too.

• ag_tommyag_tommy

Team Member
    edited August 5

@ianjukes

No worries at all my friend.

Must be old age. 😆

Who are we talking about again? Me or you? 🤣 I know that feeling all too well. aka I resemble that remark.

By the way, no apologies needed. I appreciate your well thought out question. Grey is on the case and hopefully you'll have a reply soon.

• ianjukesianjukes
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

Will is on the case and hopefully you'll have a reply soon.

Fantastic. Thank you!

• Jack.P_1PJack.P_1P

Team Member

Hi @ianjukes:

It looks like my colleague Dayton has replied to you a bit earlier today. Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with! 😀

Jack

• ianjukesianjukes
    Community Member

Hey @ag_tommy and @Jack.P_1P - any movement on a solution for this? I'd be happy to beta test anything. 😊

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file