Default Vault

Options
laugher
laugher
Community Member

Hello. Possibly a noob question as I just migrated to 1Password accounts from a single license account/vault held in Dropbox.

Before migration, I only had a vault called "1Password". After migration, a new vault was created called "Personal". It seems new records/entries are created in the new vault called "Personal".

How do I change this behavior? I want new entries to continue to go to the old vault "1Password" as everything is already there.

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro
Browser:_ Firefox, Chrome, Edge

Comments

• Good morning @laugher, thanks for your question. With a 1Password account, the Personal vault as mentioned is a default vault automatically included with your account. This vault is not able to be removed or the name modified.

As suggestion, it's possible to move the existing entries from the 1Password vault to your Personal vault and use it as your main, default vault. Then right-click the older 1Password vault and select Delete vault to keep things tidy.

If, you prefer to continue to use that migrated vault called 1Password, you can select that vault in the left sidebar before creating a new entry so those entries will save there. Additionally, at anytime during the creation of a new item, you can select account/vault (depicted below) in the item creation window to change the vault the item is being saved to:

I hope this is helpful, but please let us know if you have any additional concerns.

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_mike_d. That helped. I have now moved all items from the 1Password vault to my Personal vault. Going to leave the archived items alone for now until years later I find I no longer need them.

The user experience of moving to a 1Password account was a little confusing to say the least because I was prompted to migrate on several devices despite performing what I thought was migration of my Dropbox vault to the 1Password cloud when I first subscribed on a Windows PC. I was asked this question after configuring my iPad, Macbook Pro and Android phone. I paused each time considering what 1Password was attempting to do and why it would ask me again when I thought I had already migrated.

With your clarification, I assumed it was asking if I wanted to migrate this 1Password vault to my Personal vault. The concepts were new to me at that point in time so each time I thought, "I already migrated" so said no to each prompt.

It might make more sense to do one of the following when someone converts to a 1Password account.

1. Move all their current vault items to the "Personal" vault by default or;
    2. Each prompt from each device the user has, explain that 1Password accounts use the "Personal" vault by default and as such, it is recommended we migrate to the "Personal" vault as that has not been done.

I am not sure why on first attempt, I did not migrate to the Personal vault. I saw an action where my Dropbox vault was being copied to the 1Password account vault so assumed that was the migration.

• Hello again @laugher, you're most welcome!

I'm sorry for the confusing experience, but this type of feedback helps. We're always interested in learning from our customers where improvements can be made. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

If you run into any other issues, we're always here to lend a hand - just let us know!

This discussion has been closed.